Cast Iron High Temp Bearing Housing

Last night I worked on the centre bore. You gotta love the Rotabroach cutters. 1 3/4" diameter 2 1/4" deep no issues no drama.
20230126_192303.jpg

Mounted the work on a faceplate and completed the bore. Good chance to use my custom boring bar.

20230126_223050.jpg

I love your toolpost. Is the pointed section towards the bottom of the picture used to set the angle of the tool?

Is there a reason the split line of the bearing is vertical? I would think having the load zone out of the split area would give it more life, and would be easier to install in that orientation.
The bearing and bearing housing mounts to the end of the auger with four bolts in a square pattern. Your right it should be mounted with bearing split horizontal.

Just an observation, the last picture shows the housing in the lathe , the print you posted shows a step at the split line I don't see it in your last pic. of the housing, not sure how important it may be . Wouldn't want you to forget it.
By the way where did find cast iron that size?

The last pic was just after finishing the bore. Now it is back to the mill/drill to split the assembly and mill the step.

I purchased the cast iron from McMaster Carr

The bearings finally came in today so I was able to double check the fit and make sure all is well. They will go off to the customer tomorrow.

20230130_185240 (002).jpg

These two are rapped up, on to the next one. Same idea on this one, High Heat Bearing housing. The job starts with a 27 pound slug of 6" diameter 1045. Several hours of good shop fun to come.:) Thanks for looking

20230130_194240 (002).jpg

Nice work. It seems a bit strange that your beautifully machined bores mate with as-cast iron bearings.

Nice work. It seems a bit strange that your beautifully machined bores mate with as-cast iron bearings.
Hah, yeah, I also was amused by this. He did a great job getting a superb surface finish (and probably a bunch of time making sure he hit his dimension right-on), just to have the bearings be rough castings.

The cast iron machines easily, I was able to get a great surface finish without really trying. It does make a horrendous mess however. Chips, fine powder and who knows what particulates in the air. I covered my machines and wore a mask.

Back