Cast Iron High Temp Bearing Housing

Doug Gray

H-M Supporter - Commercial Member
H-M Supporter - Commercial Member
I got a paying gig to make up a pair of cast iron High Temp Bearing Housings ( the yellow parts). A bronze bearing rides on a hardened auger shaft, and this housing holds the brouze bearing onto the end of the auger housing. This end of the auger lives in a very hot, dusty, abrasive environment.

1674757584188.png

20230124_223352.jpg

Yesterday evening I got my stock cut down to size and decked the top side were the two halves will bolt together. I dilled the 3/4" diameter holes on my mill/drill. Tonight I notched the corners. I used my Milwaukee port-a-band with a Swag Ind. table. I drilled a 3/8" hole in the corner and sawed up to it.
Here I am using my daily 3" Macjhinist Clamp (from one of my kits) to extend the Incra Miter gauge.

20230124_203414.jpg

3" and 4" Machinist clamp used to create a fence on the Swag Table.

20230124_205253.jpg

Corners notched.

20230124_211524.jpg

Setting up for rota-broaching the centre hole.

20230125_225146.jpg

After the rata-broach the two halves will go onto a lathe faceplate for further boring. (fingers crossed) stay tuned.

Did you know working with cast iron + wearing crocs = Crocpox?

20230124_213559.jpg

Last edited:
Nice clamps in pictures 3&4. Who makes those?.

Also you might want to see a podiatrist about that condition l.

Cutting oil is my blood.

Do you need to provide a hole for a GITS oiler to get oil to the bronze bushings? And how about a cover plate (if the environ is abrasive and dirty)?

Bearing or bushing ?? Just changed out bearings on a large furnace with a pair of self aligning bearings . 8 hr job . Should have been 2 hrs but the motor frame was different and had to drill all new holes and shim out for the couplings .

Nice work. I wonder how the bronze is going to survive in those operating conditions.

I misspoke The bearing is actually "Cast Hard Iron" it runs dry, the heat would quickly evaporate any grease or oil.

1674779834575.png

The auger feeds 5/8" down aggregate into a rotary dryer similar to this.
1674780395031.png

thats cool! I've never heard of that before!

The bearing I showed is called a hanger bearing, normally it is hung mid point in a long auger to support the screw/prevent whipping. They come in a variety of materials. Martin Sprocket and Gear still sells wooded ones.

1674822484337.png

Is there a reason the split line of the bearing is vertical? I would think having the load zone out of the split area would give it more life, and would be easier to install in that orientation.

Back