Cartridge Filter Life

Tozguy

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
How do we know when it is time to replace a paint mask filter? Mine is for paint, glues, solvents, etc so it might have an activated carbon media or something else that will only last so long. How do I know when its time is up?

How do we know when it is time to replace a paint mask filter? Mine is for paint, glues, solvents, etc so it might have an activated carbon media or something else that will only last so long. How do I know when its time is up?
If all else fails. Read the instructions. PS It should be written on the filter it self. If you think it's time to change the filter, it's way past the time to change the filter.
Bob

LOL , Read and reread the instructions but found nothing. Figured somebody here has already certainly gone there before me.
Its a new mask but replacement cartridges were on special so was wondering how many to buy. Don't believe in taking chances with my health but there is no sense either in creating landfill before its time. Will keep looking for something more to go on, thanks.

http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/447121O/filter-change-out-brochure.pdf

Generic answer from 3m.

A real world test to use, used in laboratories and industry, is to waft banana oil in front of you with the mask secularly on. If you smell it the mask is not on right or the filter has been used up. You can use vanilla from the store, though not as potent and someone may chime in on how it's not best to use. That is assuming use of a chemical filter not a particulate.

Hope that helps

Yes it does Ralph, and thanks also for the link. Mike

Having painted for many years, I would change cartridges whenever I could smell the paint while wearing the respirator. Fit is extremely important. The respirator instructions will tell you how to test for a proper fit.

Having painted for many years, I would change cartridges whenever I could smell the paint while wearing the respirator. Fit is extremely important. The respirator instructions will tell you how to test for a proper fit.
u

IIRC 29CFR1910.134 (but that might be powered industrial trucks)

19 years as an EH&S engineer, I have fit-tested thousands of co-workers.

First clue is odor, then start looking for things like confusion, fatigue, etc.

Store it in a sealed zip-lock Baggie away from where you use it as the cartridges will passively absorb and be extinguished prematurely

Back