Carriage Top Pivot pins =1915 Buick

If the brass is hard to turn it may be of adequate strength. I would guess either phosphor bronze or manganese bronze. Both materials look like brass.

If the brass is hard to turn it may be of adequate strength. I would guess either phosphor bronze or manganese bronze. Both materials look like brass.
I guess the old one made from kind of steel broke at the 7/16" side.
Could have been metal fatigue after 100+ years.
The brass would look cool!!

I stole this from the web >>>>>

Steel, aluminum and brass sheet metal are all relatively strong and offer a high level of protection against corrosion. Steel, however, is the strongest, whereas aluminum is the lightest. Brass, on the other hand, is the most conductive of these three metals

I guess the old one made from kind of steel broke at the 7/16" side.
Could have been metal fatigue after 100+ years.
The brass would look cool!!

I stole this from the web >>>>>

Steel, aluminum and brass sheet metal are all relatively strong and offer a high level of protection against corrosion. Steel, however, is the strongest, whereas aluminum is the lightest. Brass, on the other hand, is the most conductive of these three metals
I think weak point of part is where 7/16 dia meets shoulder . It would be stronger if there was a radius in that corner. I would put a .03 radius on turning tool and try to get good finish there.

Jimsehr

Did you know back in the early 20th century, 13/16 14TPI was common?
Not anymore. I assumed it was 16 until I verified it to find the 14 fit perfectly.
In fact, I couldn't find 13/16 on most of the charts online. They skip right by it. There was a 13/16 X 20 UNF
Dang.
I used thread wires on the old part. I'll cut the threads to the same depth and hope it fits.
13/16-14 PD is .7661

smallest wire is .56xpitch
largest wire = .90x pitch
pitch line contact wire = .57735xpitch

micrometer reading is M=E-.86603P+3W.
E=PD
Pitch is .0714
Wire choices,
.0643, .0400,.0412

Info from MH 6th, 1924.

I think weak point of part is where 7/16 dia meets shoulder . It would be stronger if there was a radius in that corner. I would put a .03 radius on turning tool and try to get good finish there.

Jimsehr
I can still work that radius in.
Interestingly enough, I’m not quite sure how I did it, yes I do. I wasn’t paying attention.
The threads came out great, to within .001” using the thread wires.
I made it too long??

The exciting part about this new development, I need to pick up the thread.
After watching a few videos on how to do it, Mr. Pete and Joe Pi.
I’ll tackle that later this morning.
Learning something new :)

My wife had her booster shot yesterday. She is sick today.

Attachments

• 10AD2679-EADC-4763-9D2E-A362F269261D.jpeg
    10AD2679-EADC-4763-9D2E-A362F269261D.jpeg
    665 KB · Views: 9
Gonna look great! Is corrosion an issue for these parts?
R

Gonna look great! Is corrosion an issue for these parts?
R
Well, the original parts were made from low carbon steel so I guess 12L14 is OK. The owner wants it in steel.
Stainless would be fun too.
Say, does the lead in 12L14 add any rust protection?

12L14 is not bad for rust. It is way better than 12L15. I have them sitting side by side in my storage. I don't think the lead prevents corrosion; it just makes it machine better. 304 stainless would be cool and not too hard to machine.
Robert

Back