Carriage Top Pivot pins =1915 Buick

Nice work! Looks really good. Please forgive my ignorance, but what factors would influence you to use a piece of O1 vs HSS, assuming each was wide enough for the radius? I have some spare HSS blanks, but now wondering if theres value to having some O1 stock on hand to use for scenarios like you show. Thanks
HSS is hardened. At least the tooling blanks I have.
Working an annealed piece then doing a ghetto heat and dip is easy and effective.

O1 is easy to harden; heat to non-magnetic, hold maybe 30 seconds for a small part, then drop it in oil. Ideally swish it around. It's going to flame up! Be ready! Annealing is pretty easy too, just skip the quench step, and cool sorta slowly.

HSS is complicated to heat treat and takes very high temperatures. Annealing is also difficult.

So: O1 you can -machine- in the soft state, harden, and finish grind.
HSS usually has to be ground to size, can be machined with carbide.

HSS has significantly higher softening temperature. More durable, handles more aggressive cutting.

A sneaky tip: old cobalt drill bits make nice cutting tools, and come with a partial grind already! I made a fancy radius.form tool for my Magnabend build that way.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

I am very happy to report the odd 13/16" X 14 threads fits perfectly. =very satisfying!
I just matched the original. I had an OD of .814. Cut the threads to read with the .040" thread wires to .837" = perfect fit.
This is the Buick.

Attachments

• buick.jpg
    buick.jpg
    590.5 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Looks beautiful. Really nice work and not the simplest project.
Robert

Looks beautiful. Really nice work and not the simplest project.
Robert
Thank you,
I was so encouraged by the perfect fit, I finished the second piece when I got home from work.
Matching the first came easier than expected. Just need to finish polishing.
I should add, I used the HSS Aloris 60 degree threading tool.
Much better finish on the threads.

Attachments

• D643B0D7-5C0B-468E-AA52-65C28632A170.jpeg
    D643B0D7-5C0B-468E-AA52-65C28632A170.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 10
  • E8E27313-BF4F-444E-AB45-D1BDA221E957.jpeg
    E8E27313-BF4F-444E-AB45-D1BDA221E957.jpeg
    775.6 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Back