Carriage stop for Smithy Granite

Dan Krager

Registered
Registered
I searched this site and found no hits for carriage stop for Smithy Granite. I guess I'll have to make one because I can't find anything to buy that works.

My goal is simple: a carriage stop that will stick to the ways hard enough for manual feed bump. And I have a threading tool that retracts when it hits a stop way up in the air by the QCTP. So besides sticking to the bed for bump, I want a T slot in the top for holding a post and a cross post in a snugger to trip the retractor. The T slot allows adjustments for other situations I might get into.

Now it just so happens that I have a Starrett 665 set whose base has the requisite T slot on top, and there is one on the bottom that would be simple enough to make dovetail jaws for a vise like grip on the ways. It also has a sturdy post, snugger, and cross post. Am I crazy to use an expensive inspection tool in such a manner? Any other simple options like that?
DanK

Hey Dan,
If you want to use the Starrett, your tools, do what you want. As far as getting alternative ideas, a pictures of the threading tool set up would be helpful.

I bought one of these from the OP Mr Whoopee. It's pretty slick idea and his implementation was attractively compact and efficient. I haven't had a need for threading recently, but doing other work I wanted a manual stop. So I was dreaming up ways to get both functions in one stop. In MW design the stop simply pushes the short lever aside as the carriage travels and that releases the catch holding the cutter in the cut. Very little force is involved.
My (mental) problem is that I don't have the metal to make the pieces needed to use the 665. I haven't found a source that will let me pick their scrap bin and sell by the pound. I can't afford the space or money to buy long enough pieces to interest a steel supplier. I may search for internet sources. Need something thick enough to hold a 3/8"-16 "vise" thread and make some T nuts to fit the 665. Maybe 1" sq by 6" long for everything?
And would I be wise to put a soft metal buffer in the "vise" that will hold the unit to the ways?
DanK

We just had to get rid of a pile of thick steel due to too much weight in our trailers. If you can use aluminum, I have some 1 1/2 x 1 1/2 I can send you in a week or so.

Metal Supermarkets sells everything by the the inch, they're not the cheapest but they can probably get you what you need.

I bought one of these from the OP Mr Whoopee. It's pretty slick idea and his implementation was attractively compact and efficient. I haven't had a need for threading recently, but doing other work I wanted a manual stop. So I was dreaming up ways to get both functions in one stop. In MW design the stop simply pushes the short lever aside as the carriage travels and that releases the catch holding the cutter in the cut. Very little force is involved.
My (mental) problem is that I don't have the metal to make the pieces needed to use the 665. I haven't found a source that will let me pick their scrap bin and sell by the pound. I can't afford the space or money to buy long enough pieces to interest a steel supplier. I may search for internet sources. Need something thick enough to hold a 3/8"-16 "vise" thread and make some T nuts to fit the 665. Maybe 1" sq by 6" long for everything?
And would I be wise to put a soft metal buffer in the "vise" that will hold the unit to the ways?
DanK
The steelyard I go to has a cut off area. It's outside and you can walk around and look for pieces that might work for a project. The upside is the price per pound is discounted. The downside is that you may not find what you need or the piece is too long. They do charge for cutting. The nicer the cut, the longer you have to wait. The more total weight you buy the cheaper the rate, with the best price at 200 lbs. I bought about 240 lbs of steel last trip.

It is worth a call to the steel suppliers to see if they offer a cut off area.

I did find that small but thick pieces were not plentiful. Did get a piece of 1-1/8" plate for a random future project. They had lots of rectangular tubing cut offs. I need to draw up a BOM for a lathe stand and go picking through the yard They also had some aluminum and stainless, but nowhere near as much variety, and significantly higher price.

Thank you for input. I've tried the local "machine shops" and there is a steel supply depot in town, but they don't offer their "shorts" for sale. They are "recycled". I would think better of them if they did sell their falloff pieces to a picker. Or even a pallet to a local hardware store. They just don't want to mess with it.
I've scrounged and think I have found the pieces I can make work.
DanK

Finally, got it put together. It ain't real pretty, but it works quite well. The aluminum stop and pressure plugs underside hole quite firmly. Don't know what will happen when the pressure swells the plugs.....
DanK

IMG_20220921_163552758.jpgIMG_20220921_163631467.jpg

Update: Back to the drawing board. This interferes too much with the lathe's goings on. It did work successfully but it's awkward and in the way, so to speak. So some head scratching is in order. Than mounting bolt is catching my attention.

In another thread I'll post some recent work making a chainsaw and band saw sharpener attachment for my Belsaw 1055.
DanK

Update: Back to the drawing board. This interferes too much with the lathe's goings on. It did work successfully but it's awkward and in the way, so to speak. So some head scratching is in order. Than mounting bolt is catching my attention.

In another thread I'll post some recent work making a chainsaw and band saw sharpener attachment for my Belsaw 1055.
DanK
DanK:

There is a set of drawings for a Smithy Granite carriage stop in smithy-machines@groups.io that might assist in your scratching of the head.

For mine, I did a modification by moving the attaching knob to the rear and widening the body of the thing. The thimble is removable because it also needs to fit on my Atlas lathe. Works OK.

HTH, Bill

Carriage Stop and Indicator Holder on Smithy.JPG

Thank you Bill. This gizmo is almost the same as what I was using to trip the threading retractor. I have a DRO so the dial indicator would be redundant. The hard stop is useful in many situations, so I'll have to give this some consideration. Upon checking, I have to be a member to get it.
Just have to sit on it awhile to see what settles out in my head.

I see that the shield left front of carriage has been removed, and I had to remove mine to use the stop. That's a con for me.

DanK

Back