Carriage Bolt Question

MAlcocer

Registered
Registered
I am working on a project at work and we need to replace some worn carriage bolts. The bolts are used on pipe repair clamps and are 7/16-14 3". My issue is that I need to find a carriage bolt that has a deeper square depth then the the common carriage bolt (.250"). Here is a link to a normal carriage bolt:
http://www.mcmaster.com/#93548a681/=10x8gjg

I would like to see a neck depth of .500" any help in pointing me in the right direction would be great.

Those are the items I am trying to refurbish without having to buy a whole new set. We have 20 of them ranfing in soze from 3/4 to 12". Was hoping to be able to source just the bolt.

Those look like pretty special bolts. Maybe try to contact the manufacturer and see if they can supply replacement bolts. I was not able to find a web site for them with a quick search, but I'm sure with a deep search you can find them.

Not sure about Fastenal but there used to be fastener sales houses that could research that for you if they didn't stock the item. There are 2 stores in Farmington, New Mexico that provide this service. Farmington is an oil patch hub. Hopefully there is someone near you with this ability.
Have a good day
Ray

Couldn't you just use a regular bolt and just use a wrench on the opposite side when you tighten them? Or just tack weld them in a spot

I Just looked at the picture and they couldn't be tack welded. Is the head curved to rock on the finger area? If so you'll most likely just have to get them from the manufacturer. If the heads are flat then a normal bolt and washer may work.

We are trying to avoid manipulating these. So a regular bolt is out. They will be used in tight spaces while wearing a level A hazmat suit possibly.

The head seems to be standard size. Only a few of the original bolts are left and they are in poor shape. At some point someone replaced them with off the shelf ones but they obviously don't work well. I will try rock-breakers idea and have some emails into manufacturers. The places that sell them only want to sell the whole part.

I was secretly hoping I had just been calling them by the wrong name or looking in the wrong spot. I appreciate the help.

I am working on a project at work and we need to replace some worn carriage bolts. The bolts are used on pipe repair clamps and are 7/16-14 3". My issue is that I need to find a carriage bolt that has a deeper square depth then the the common carriage bolt (.250"). Here is a link to a normal carriage bolt:
http://www.mcmaster.com/#93548a681/=10x8gjg

I would like to see a neck depth of .500" any help in pointing me in the right direction would be great.
If it was mine and the job can wait a day or two have your boss contact the manufacture for replacement bolts and if this a common repair extra bolts for stock. I say this because it someone was injured from the repair in the future you can fall back on they were original replacements. Good luck

Unfortunately these items are not certified to any of our industry standards for use. So the manufacturers would fall back on it being used for an unintended purpose most likely. I have some emails in to them for the right bolt. Just sure they are buying it from somewhere and would like to cut out the middle man. Thank you for the advice.

Back