Carriage ball oiler

mwhite

Registered
Registered
Hi everyone. I have a 1963 south bend 10L (heavy 10). One of the ball oilers in the carriage came apart. Does anyone know what size it is. There are several sizes available and I would like to buy the correct one. Thanks in advance.

Mine measures 7/16". The one in my 13" measures 9/16", and it fell apart years ago. I just replaced it with a rubber plug. It seems to keep swarf from creeping in a lot better than the ball oiler.

Mine measures 7/16". The one in my 13" measures 9/16", and it fell apart years ago. I just replaced it with a rubber plug. It seems to keep swarf from creeping in a lot better than the ball oiler.

Thank for your reply. I'm a little bit OCD about the correct part in the correct place. So that ball oiler is making me crazy. I have a plastic plug in it but it's not right.

I can't answer your question, but here's my two cents on those ball oilers. I refurbished my 13" South Bend and the ball oilers were in bad shape. I bought replacements and installed them. The second time I used one of them it failed. The ball (not really a ball, but a bent/rounded piece of steel) got stuck and I couldn't get it to pop back up. Now, I didn't like this type of oiler anyways since I think they might have a tendency to let dirt and grime get past them. They are in a pretty messy location when using cutting oil, etc.

So, my solution was to remove the new ball oilers and tap the holes 9/16"-12 since the original hole was 1/2". I made up two threaded plugs that I can screw in and out by hand. This is working very nicely for me. I know they won't fail and they don't let dirt get past them.

YMMV,
Ted

Last edited:
I can't answer your question, but here's my two cents on those ball oilers. I refurbished my 13" South Bend and the ball oilers were in bad shape. I bought replacements and installed them. The second time I used one of them it failed. The ball (not really a ball, but a bent/rounded piece of steel) got stuck and I couldn't get it to pop back up. Now, I didn't like this type of oiler anyways since I think they might have a tendency to let dirt and grime get past them. They are in a pretty messy location when using cutting oil, etc.

So, my solution was to remove the new ball oilers and tap the holes 9/16"-12 since the original hole was 1/2". I made up two threaded plugs that I can screw in and out by hand. This is working very nicely for me. I know they won't fail and they don't let dirt get past them.

YMMV,
Ted
Thanks Ted. I might just do that. I thought about building a "pipe plug" that I can remove to oil the carriage. My OCD is going to make me nuts lol.

I plan to do the same thing on my SBL13, but will use button heads to cover holes. I don't know about your 13s, mine does not have an oiler on the right side of the saddle.

Back