Carriage backlash issues

Babyseal

Registered
Registered
Bought a used lathe, Sheldon 10". It's in really good shape other than being encrusted in 3 decades worth of crud from sitting. I'm new at this BTW, so still pretty clueless.

2x non-elbow grease issues noted;

(1) Had a 1" drill bit chucked in the tailstock, frozen in place. Pulled the tailstock spindle, gently tapped the bit (chuck and all) out with a tie rod puller. Predictably, they'd spun the bit and galled the shank (and spindle). Solution? My guess is to re-ream the spindle to MT #2. Y/N?

(2) Excessive backlash in the carriage. On examination, they'd ran it with the bolt that goes into the cross-feed nut loose. Bolt itself is worn. Work the carriage crank, watch it flop around. This brings up multiple sub-issues.

(a) It looks like it's the wrong bolt. It's fully threaded, the wear is on the threads. Looks to me like this should have a bolt with a shoulder where it goes through the top of the lower slide and threads into the nut. Y/N?
(b) Should the new bolt (shouldered or not), be hard or soft? My guess is about a grade 5. Not too hard, not too soft. Or is hard better, as long as it's properly tightened and not working back and forth on the threads?
(b2) Wouldn't a spring washer on the bolt help take up play?
(c) The threads in the cross-feed nut (the bolt threads, not the feed screw) took some damage. I'm pretty sure, run a bottom tap through it, keep it tightened properly, it'll be a non-issue. Do that, fix the rest, see how it goes? I'd probably have to have a new cross-feed nut made. Parts for Sheldons seem to be thin on the ground.
(c) How much wear is acceptable in the cross-feed nut? There's noticeable (1-2 degrees/1/32") play when I rock it back and forth on the feed screw. Almost zero play trying to work it along the axis of the feed screw (like it would work being cranked).
(d) The end of the feed screw rides in a hole in the carriage. Call it a 1/2" hole, with the end of the feed screw being 1/4". It just flops around in there...shouldn't there be a bushing for the machined end of the feed screw to ride in? Seems to me, being unsupported, is going to magnify the effects of cumulative wear in the entire carriage assembly. Haven't found a parts list for my specific machine. One shows nothing. The other shows a collar with a nut. Any reason not to put a bushing in there, put a set screw in from the top to lock it in place? Or does the feed nut provide the support?

Thanks!

Last edited:
We all love pictures. You will receive more and better help with pictures. Try to find a manual and a parts diagram for your lathe. Then it is easier to figure out what belongs and what someone may have changed over the years. Most older lathe have backlash between lead screws and nuts. It is nice to be able to minimize this ,but a good work around is to back off more than the backlash and then feed in to your part. I am sure someone can explain this better.

If you haven't already, join the Sheldon lathe group...most of the manuals are posted there in the files section.

sheldonlathe

In a perfect world, there would be no backlash, but in this realm in which we live, there is plenty of wear and backlash, get over it and make chips.

I've got several manuals, and several parts books. None are for my specific machine, they give me a good idea...except where they conflict. Nor are books generally a replacement for the experience and institutional knowledge you'd expect/hope to find on a forum such as this. Especially on issues such as fixing a galled tailshaft spindle, or what kind of bolt is supposed to be used in the crossfeed nut. It's not like I can call up Sheldon, order part #A-137, and make the issue go away via throwing money at it.

Yes, there's always going to be backlash...but not a quarter turns worth. Why on earth would I stick a worn part back in, that's obviously causing issues, when I can easily make (if I knew what to make) a replacement? I've got it apart, call me crazy, but it seems like an appropriate time to do whatever's possible to minimize backlash...before throwing up my hands, call it God's Will, and start machining by Braille. Heck, I might go totally hog wild, and clean/oil everything, adjust the gib, stone the surfaces, and replace the felts while I've got it apart.

Thanks, but I'll figure it out.

Cheers!

I've got several manuals, and several parts books. None are for my specific machine, they give me a good idea...except where they conflict. Nor are books generally a replacement for the experience and institutional knowledge you'd expect/hope to find on a forum such as this.
Which is why I suggested the Sheldon forum. If you want Sheldon expertise, that's where you find it. It's certainly possible you have a unique machine that nobody there has experience with, or a manual for, but I doubt it.

Further, if you're looking to get the institutional knowledge and experience from people who might be able to help, you aren't giving them much to go off. No serial number, no model number, no pictures, etc. Good luck.

Back