Capri 6 in rotating vise

mirage100

Active User
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I did not know Capri made a 6 inch rotating vise. Does anyone here have any info on them? Good bad ? Can any one recommend another brand for a rotating vice. Bigger the better. Want one that the jaws rotate. Thanks

Do you mean one like this? This is a 5 inch version I bought to replace a HF standard vise that I used for 25+years. In my shop the heaviest duty the vise sees is holding a 3 foot long tapered steel mandrel that I lever on to remove dents from brass instruments. The leverage is all the way out to the end. I wore out the screw on my old vise and it would not close all the way, and I wanted to try a rotating vise so I could place different dent rods in different angles to reach into various instrument parts. I was concerned about how the stop operates that holds the vise in any position other than parallel to the floor. This Capri vise has a pin that locks the head in position, plus (and this is the important part) the same screw that closes the jaws applies pressure on the rotating mechanism. I can hod a dent rod in any angle I need to and lean on it with all my weight at the end, and there is no movement in the vise. The pin is just for location and I do not worry about it snapping.

All in all, I am very happy with it and wish I had not waited so long in order to replace the old one, which now sits in the cabinet under my mill to act as ballast! ( I may actually use part of it for a solid tool post plinth). In my opinion it is a well-designed and well-built item. I do very few "heavy duty" things in my shop (I don't work on engine blocks or truck axles) but I probably stress my bench vise more than the average shop. I am leaning on it with all my weight at the end of a 3 foot lever, so that's pretty tough.

Attachments

• IMG_20221219_105936513.jpg
    IMG_20221219_105936513.jpg
    365.4 KB · Views: 9
Back