Capacitor Question

randyjaco

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I have a 230vac single phase coolant pump motor that has crapped out. The motor will run if I give it a spin to start it. So, I presume it is a capacitor problem. (I am electronically challenged)
The motor is a 1/8hp Taiwanese gem. I pulled the capacitor and carried it to several electrical supply houses. They looked at it as if they had never seen one before and immediately told me that they didn't have one and didn't know where I could find one.
It is@ 7/8" in diameter and @1.5" long. Printed on it is 15uF, 230W.V.AC., Shihlin Electric, 68102 and MP CON (The "O" is questionable).
Can anyone tell me what this is and what I might replace it with. It doesn't have to be the same size and shape. I just need the motor to run.

Thanks
Randy IMG_20160122_190112.jpg

shapes may very
but 15 uf 230 v is what you need

run cap..
my Taiwan lath used the same one.....did you notice the motor running hot?

Check for a stuck or burned centrifugal switch. The first step in doing that is to give the end bell a healthy thwack with a hammer. The next is to pull the end bell, examine and if possilble clean up the centrifugal switch contacts, clean the tar that used to be grease off all the moving parts, and relubricate.

Your capacitor is not the problem. You have something wrong or out on the starting circuit.

edit: John beat me to it!

Single phase motors need some sort of a "Start" mechanism. The are a few different methods. Usually there is a second winding that is only used during starting (kicks out with a centrifugal switch, or a current sensing relay). Sometimes there is a capacitor in the circuit of the start windings (and so is called a "Starting Capacitor"). Figure out what sort of arrangement this manufacturer uses to get the motor going, than look for problems in that circuit (failed capacitor, burnt open start winding, goofed up centrifugal switch).

Let us know how it works out.

Wow, that didn't take long 8), thanks for the replies.
I was wondering if it was a run or start? It is good to know that higher voltage is OK. That will make it easier.
Yes Tool master, it does run very hot now. Would that indicate that it is a run?

Randy

Your capacitor is not the problem. You have something wrong or out on the starting circuit.

edit: John beat me to it!

THATS WHAT I THOUGHT WITH MY LATHE...IT WAS THE RUN CAP

Back