Cap screw counterbore

John252058

Registered
Registered
I'm looking for input on manufactures of counterbore drills or milling cutter. I need to make 3/8" counterbore in aluminum with no pilot hole, done in one pass with 60 degree countersink on a milling machine.

Use a 3/8" end mill. About as quick as using a counterbore with a pilot. Done this many times over the years before I bought some counterbores.

Last edited:
Yes that's what I wanted to do. Drill or mill the bolt hole, counterbore and the countersink in one pass with one tool.

Yes that's what I wanted to do. Drill or mill the bolt hole, counterbore and the countersink in one pass with one tool.
something like this sounds in order there are also counterbore drill combo attachments, but all the ones I have seen seem to be designed for wood in that case.

I see what you are getting at now.

I had a similar situation as yours years ago. Dad had a drill bit ground down into a step drill. Major diameter was something like 3/8", the ground down diameter was something like 3/16". the angle between the steps was something like a 120 degrees. Used it to drill and countersink holes in clutch linings for the installation of copper rivets.

Back