Can you ID this Atlas lathe ?

What is the swing? 10F maybe. Looks like you have all the change gears. I have a 12", no quick change, and it's been a good little machine. One of the pro's will be along soon I'm sure. get rid of the grease zerks on the spindle bearings, should have some oil cups. Mike

Look at the tail stock end of the bed for an ID plate

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    411.5 KB · Views: 4
Some of the features put it in the post-1957 era. The shape of the headstock (12", by the way), the shape of the feed reversing handle and the half-nut engagement handle, and the location of the back gear engagement control are all "tells". If the cross-feed selector is a simple chrome button you pull out to engage, it was made before 1967.

Some, but very few of these lathes were made without the quick-change gearbox for the feed screw. Yours appears to have steel change gears instead of die-cast Zinc, because of the rust. This was a feature of change-gear models.

lathes.co.uk has a section devoted to these machines:
http://www.lathes.co.uk/atlas/page4.html

Sadly both the serial number plate and gear chart plate are missing.

It was sold as a 6" and I got a 6" chuck with it, my guess was it was a 12" from the start.

Well, the Brits would call it a 6". And if the chuck is a 6" diameter one, that is the most common chuck size for that lathe. So at least you lucked out in that regard. :)

Back