Can someone help me with poatage US to UK?

komatias

Active User
Registered
Hi all, I am would very much like to buy a linear scale bracket for the quill of my bridgeport clone (KRV 2000). I have seen that they are available in the US for 1/3 of the price I would pay locally.

http://www.shars.com/product_categories/view/4060206/Digital_ZAxis_Readout_Quill_Kit

The killer is the postage $80 to the UK

Anybody able to help a fellow machinist out? I get it shipped to you, you send it out to me for less than Shars want?

Thanks in advance

I'd think that this should fit in a flat rate box. If its less than 20 lbs, you should be good to go with a remailing route assumed that duties don't kill you.

How big is this item?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Go to USPS.com as you can see all the rates. You put country where it is going to as It will assume your in the states. If you want I can buy it for you and have it shipped here and I will mail it to you if needed, if that would save you a lot of $$.

I sometimes mail my dvd's Express mail when I mail out of the country, as it has a tracking number. The lower class mail has no way to track it or know if it is delivered. , that maybe the reason it's so expensive. The US Postal service has raised its rates lately. Rich

This is a common problem for us outside of the USA. I am limited by the postage in nearly every piece of equipment I see online. Some places will work with you. I recently had an experience with Bandsaw Blades Direct where their postage for 6 small blades came to $370 USD. They shipped using the cheapest option using USPS and it came to $60 instead. Full credit for them in working with the customer - I will shop there again!

When you add the customs fees and import duties to the cost of freight it puts many of the tools out of reach for us hobby guys. Local companies often know this and charge for the privelage of having found a loophole and managing to get the equipment into the country. Other times the seller has an agreement with the manufacturer so you can't get the item shipped to your country so they charge outrageous prices. This has meant that many people don't get involved in the hobby due to the expense.

Your a good soul Rich for helping our Pommy friend out. Nothing more frustrated than being forced to pay a price that you know is extortion when you really need the part / tool.

Paul.

The PO has changed its tracking policy on Priority Mail now also. The Tracking number and 50 bucks worth of insurance are included in the fee.

"Billy G"

That bracket looks pretty easy to make and with those delivery fees, I'd rather spend the 2 hours to make it...

Ray

That bracket looks pretty easy to make and with those delivery fees, I'd rather spend the 2 hours to make it...
Ray

Yeah, I know. But with a day job to work at too, I would much rather I spent the two hours making money with the machine. More than I would pay for the bracket.

Richard, you were the first person I thought of asking but did not want to impose. Had asked you for a DVD a while ago and we never did get round to dealing. Maybe this is a good time for me to get a DVD as well. Will contact you off line.

According the the USPS:

First-Class Package International Service up to $26

That makes more sense!

Make sure the DVD will work on U.K. equipment. My wife bought me a British made DVD. It won't work in my player which was made for the USA market. It will work in my computer,it was suggested. I haven't tried it there.

Make sure the DVD will work on U.K. equipment. My wife bought me a British made DVD. It won't work in my player which was made for the USA market. It will work in my computer,it was suggested. I haven't tried it there.

George:

I have experienced the same problems however, there are services who will for a nominal fee convert the format of the DVD to the North American standard. I have done this on DVD from England myself. Back ten years a go I purchased a DVD player that was tweeked to play the European format as well as the north american format. Purchased some DVD's in Germany, only to find out there was a different format. This is just a way for the DVD producers to control the market with releases of their products.

M.L.Woy

Back