Can I turn a part from hard clear plastic?

D&T the threads first, wipe or fill the interior with Acetone to chemically polish the inside. Don't get any on a finished part or it will ruin the finish. Weld-On acrylic adhesive works the best but acetone should work well too.
I don't understand the purpose of chemically polishing the threads. Do you mean doing that will enhance the appearance? If so, that sounds good to me, but won't that slightly enlarge the female threads, making the fit looser on the tailstock runner?

I don't understand the purpose of chemically polishing the threads. Do you mean doing that will enhance the appearance? If so, that sounds good to me, but won't that slightly enlarge the female threads, making the fit looser on the tailstock runner?
Any machined or threaded portion will look whiteish if it's not polished. The solvent will clear up the surface and make it look much better.

Any machined or threaded portion will look whiteish if it's not polished. The solvent will clear up the surface and make it look much better.
Alright, I see what your point was. Thanks! I keep a quart or two of acetone in my shop; I've never heard of the other stuff you mentioned. Looks like I'll be seeing how the acetone affects the fit & finish of the internal threads.

Well, here's my first attempt. I'm not entirely happy with it so I'm going to try again, but I don't think my first one turned out too badly.
One thing I'm very happy about is that to my eye, the color looks very close. My first post shows the that the little tailstock knob I'm trying to replicate is only one of three knobs, so color matching is critical (to me, anyway). I tried the handle of a Millers Falls screwdriver which I was told would match - no dice. The red was a bit too pinkish - the real Permaloid that Rivett used has a very deep, rich hue. So it turns out the 3/4" x 12" acrylic red rod from eBay is, in my opinion, an acceptable material for this project.

This is what happens when I decide to whack off a section of this acrylic rod - it ain't pretty, and it's messy as heck. The first thing I learned about this acrylic material is that IT'S NOT PERFECTLY ROUND! I tried and tried to true it up in my 4-jaw chuck , but I could tell that it wasn't going to happen, so I finally switched to my good old 3-jaw. I wish I had a Myford Super7...
IMG_7874.JPG
IMG_7875.JPG

Getting set to face off the end I left sticking out:
IMG_7876.JPG
IMG_7877.JPG

For some reason I didn't take pics of the final faced surface, or drilling the center with a #21 wire gauge carbide PCB drill (for the 10-32 tap). Anyway, for this project I bought a plug tap and a bottoming tap for 10-32, from MSC. Here's my fancy tapping setup - the back end of the tap is seated in my tailstock runner, with a little crescent wrench to hold the tap still. I'm pushing the runner with one hand while rotating the headstock with the other hand:
IMG_7879.JPG

Getting there:
IMG_7880.JPG
After the bottoming tap and blowing the debris out of the hole:
IMG_7882.JPG
IMG_7883.JPG

Starting to turn down the acrylic to the minor diameter. At this stage I'm beginning to think my order of operations is backward. But I'm this far into it, so I decided to just blast ahead and do my best, but I'm realizing I might have to do this again.
IMG_7893.JPG
IMG_7894.JPG

I kept turning down the material surrounding the drilled/tapped section until I reached what I thought was my destination - the OD of the tailstock runner the knob is supposed to screw onto. Mistake! I was only supposed to turn it down to the runner's OD plus a little bit more. Oh well. I'm going to make another one, so I'm adding this onto my list of "don't do that again" mistakes.
IMG_7901.JPG

Here you see the side profile. The sides are straight instead of the proper concave radius, because that was before I figured out how to make an actual proper concave radius. I guess I just figured I'd turn a straight side first, and then put a radius afterward. It didn't turn out that way, as you can see. The convex radius on the rim was easy - I just turned the rim with a series of different angles on my sliderest, and knocked the corners down with wet/dry paper. The big lesson was I finally realized how to turn a nice concave radius with my sliderest! I put that lesson to use on the end of the knob. I'm going to remember that trick when I do this again...
IMG_7902_edit.JPG

I need to figure out what to do with the back end of the runner's threads - when I cracked open the hideous black knob that someone put on the runner, the runner's threads were almost impossible to clean up without damage. What I don't understand is what to do about the threads next to the runner's body - it's metal, but it's a hideous glob of hard metal that I might have to grind off. I need to seat the knob all the way down to the runner, but that glob is in the way. I strongly suspect there might be additional threading underneath that glob, but I need to get the glob off of there somehow. If it turns out to be too difficult to remove the glob, I suppose I could just grind it down because there's enough good thread to hold the knob on...
IMG_7903.JPG
IMG_7904.JPG

Here's the "glob" of metal at the base of the runner's threads:
IMG_7905.JPG
IMG_7906.JPG

Anyway, I'm going to do things differently on my next attempt. Thanks for indulging me. Comments, suggestions, are welcome.

That looks fantastic!
Your surface finish is great, as is your concave/convex turning.

To accommodate that "glob" of metal, could you not simple counter bore the threaded end?
(of course I mean on mark2, because trying to hold this one the right way around would be tricky now.....)
It looks like you'd have enough threaded hole for the knob to fully seat.

Brian

Well, here's my first attempt. I'm not entirely happy with it so I'm going to try again, but I don't think my first one turned out too badly.

Anyway, I'm going to do things differently on my next attempt. Thanks for indulging me. Comments, suggestions, are welcome.
A very good first attempt. It looks like your order of operations is good. A couple of thoughts/suggestions:

Finish is outstanding! Is what is in the photos after polishing?

It looks like you tried to part off the excess length of rod; with that much stick-out and Acrylic being somewhat brittle, I would saw of the short end and just clean up the saw cuts by facing (which you did anyway).

To get the knob to seat fully on the shaft you have two options: undercut the "glob" so that it is smaller than the root diameter of the threaded portion or drill/bore the end of knob deep enough so that it fits over the unthreaded portion of the shaft (that's what I would do, since you're drilling & tapping anyway).

Keep up the good work!

Chuck up the runner and turn that blob down to just below the height of the thread crests. Then, be sure to counterbore the next knob to be able to screw all the way to the runner shoulder.

I was expecting poor surface finish, but that came out pretty nice!

That looks fantastic!
Your surface finish is great, as is your concave/convex turning.

To accommodate that "glob" of metal, could you not simple counter bore the threaded end?
(of course I mean on mark2, because trying to hold this one the right way around would be tricky now.....)
It looks like you'd have enough threaded hole for the knob to fully seat.

Brian
Thanks guys. Regarding my surface finish, I spent a lot of time experimenting with different cutter geometries. What ended up yielding the best finish and cuts were a 4-degree positive rake with a single radiused cutting point - combined with higher-than-expected speed. Not fast enough to cause melting, but just fast enough to DRAMATICALLY improve surface finish.

At first I thought the negative-rake cutters I use with 360 brass would do the trick. Instead, a 4-degree positive rake was the ticket. Thing is, it wasn't until I switched to a newly-ground positive rake cutter that I discovered what a difference speed makes. So now, I wonder what happens when I try a negative rake cutter at a higher speed.

But in ALL cases, I made sure my cutters were as sharp as I could possibly make them. All the surfaces got ground to a mirror finish with successively finer grades of wet/dry 3M paper. If I recall correctly, I ground all cutter surfaces with 300 - 500 - 800 - 1,000 - 1,200 - 1,500 - 1,800 - 2,000 - 3000.

I used to use India stone - white Arkansas stone - black Arkansas stone for my gravers & cutters, but now I get better results with 3M wet/dry paper.

Back