Can anyone identify this retractable tool post?

Cadillac STS

Active User
H-M Platinum Supporter
I found this retractable tool post. It is for BXA size QCTP. It retracts fine and looks very solid. So simple, just 3 parts beside the two covers.

I'll post pics of the actual tool together and then the tool apart. No maker markings on it at all. With the pics someone may be able to make one.
IMG_1060.jpg
IMG_1062.jpg
IMG_1064.jpgIMG_1063.jpgIMG_1061.jpgIMG_1059.jpg

IMG_1060.jpg

IMG_1060.jpg

IMG_1062.jpg

IMG_1062.jpg

IMG_1064.jpg

IMG_1064.jpg

IMG_1063.jpg

IMG_1063.jpg

IMG_1061.jpg

IMG_1061.jpg

IMG_1059.jpg

IMG_1059.jpg

IMG_1060.jpg

IMG_1062.jpg

IMG_1064.jpg

IMG_1063.jpg

IMG_1061.jpg

IMG_1059.jpg

Possibly as home made retractable threading tool. Threading is where you would like a retractable tool the most.

This is just my brain's thinking (which could be all wrong) , but I can't envision these things being any good. I have seen several over the years. Maybe for threading, but it would seem it impossible to build with absolutely no play in it. Usually a tool is held solid and can't move at all. if you had even .001" play in this holder, wouldn't it affect the finish you get? or am I looking at this all wrong?

Mark Frazier

This is just my brain's thinking (which could be all wrong) , but I can't envision these things being any good. I have seen several over the years. Maybe for threading, but it would seem it impossible to build with absolutely no play in it. Usually a tool is held solid and can't move at all. if you had even .001" play in this holder, wouldn't it affect the finish you get? or am I looking at this all wrong?

Mark Frazier

It is very heavy, made of steel. When it is engaged it has a firm "detent" feel and doesn't move at all.

I bought it for making threads. I saw other types online that looked difficult to build and none for sale.

It is a rare find and I need to get a BXA QCTP, mine is AXA before I try it out.

Definitely a home made retractable threading tool holder. I've seen a number of different plans for them, and they are the bee's knees from what I am told. Thought about making one myself a while back, but never got to doing anything about it. In the mean time I got so used to the steps for single point threading that I don't even think twice about it, but I can see where this thing would be a time saver and would also reduce the risk of errors.

Nice find!!

If it would help anyone make up a set of plans I can get some measurements and get more pics with closer details. I would be a buyer for an AXA one! And from what I've seen they would be a swift seller for anyone making a series of them.

Back