Can anyone help me identify these mandrels that came with my PM833tv

Capn Noob

Registered
Registered
I'm getting my snazzy new PM833tv set up but have these two chucks/mandrels/
collets?? that I haven't been able to identify. Can anyone tell me what they are used for?
The one without a bolt isn't threaded. Just has the small hole.

bit two .jpg
bit one .jpg

The one with the bolt looks like an arbor for a face-mill. Its R8 on one side,ad some sort of face-mill will fit on the other end, and the keys are for driving it.

The bottom might be a 'soft' R8 arbor. The idea is that you could turn it to be an arbor for whatever you'd like. The 'hole' in the end is just a center for turning on the lathe. Alternatively, it MIGHT be a jacobs taper for a drill-chuck, but it isn't clear if it is tapered from the picture.

The one with the bolt looks like an arbor for a face-mill. Its R8 on one side,ad some sort of face-mill will fit on the other end, and the keys are for driving it.

The bottom might be a 'soft' R8 arbor. The idea is that you could turn it to be an arbor for whatever you'd like. The 'hole' in the end is just a center for turning on the lathe. Alternatively, it MIGHT be a jacobs taper for a drill-chuck, but it isn't clear if it is tapered from the picture.
Thanks, The one with a non threaded hole was a real mystery .Strange that PM would include them in my order without any additional info or parts but maybe they'll be useful at a later date.

Are you expecting a face-mill or drill-chuck with your order in some way? If so, that could be what these are for, and they shipped them separately?

Is the bottom one tapered on one end? Even slightly? If so it could be a drill chuck arbor with a Jacobs taper.
Yeah, of the two I mentioned, it makes way more sense that this is a jacobs taper adapter. The jacobs taper is really slight (something like 2.5 degrees?), so it could be easy to miss.

It looks like a J6 to me, but easily enough to figure out wit a couple of caliper measurements.

It looks like a J6 to me, but easily enough to figure out wit a couple of caliper measurements.
Interestingly, all the drill chucks on the PM page for that mill say:
"One Piece Shank, no tapers to come apart"

And the only place I've ever seen a JT is on a drill chuck, so I don't know what that would go to otherwise...

Face mill arbor and a Jacobs arbor. My 932 came with the same ones. Still sitting in the tool box a couple years later.

Interestingly, all the drill chucks on the PM page for that mill say:
"One Piece Shank, no tapers to come apart"

And the only place I've ever seen a JT is on a drill chuck, so I don't know what that would go to otherwise...
That doesn’t mean that the manufacturer of the mill didn’t toss in a JT adapter. I got one with my PM935 and quickly turned it into something more useful.

Back