Can a SB 9C....have the Quick change gears [SB 9B] added to it?

Bobbycoke

Registered
Registered
hi I am a newbie here [in life an oldie] and purchased a South Bend 9C lathe like my dad had when I was young and learnt a little metal butchering on........I wanted a 9B or A but the lathes great condition & massive amount of quality tooling at an unbelievable price made it a no brainer..........I do not really need the power cross feed [9A] but like the idea of the quick change gears.....can this be modified.....is ths doable what needs to be added/removed to accomplish this????? I can use as is and manually change gears just would like to know what I should look for at flea-bay or at auctions........Oh by the way I am the original thrifty yankee so $$ is an object! Thanks for any and all input........bobbycoke

Halligan142 YouTube channel has a series of videos showing his upgrade of a 9B to 9A. A lot of this may be relevant for you but worth watching in any case to get an idea of what is involved.

This is the first video in the series, you can navigate to the others from here.

Southbend 9in gearbox conversion part 1

Halligan142 YouTube channel has a series of videos showing his upgrade of a 9B to 9A. A lot of this may be relevant for you but worth watching in any case to get an idea of what is involved.

This is the first video in the series, you can navigate to the others from here.

Southbend 9in gearbox conversion part 1

You can do anything if you put enough effort into it. I saw a sliding transmission QCGB made completely from scratch for an HF 7x10 once.

I bought a never used ( honestly) 1948 SB 9 C , put it together and cut its first chips with it! After using it for awhile I went to Dave Sobels and bought the parts needed to make it a 9A. It needs the quick change box, shorter lead screw, drive gear, and model 9A apron. You can re- use old carriage, cross slide, and compound. You have to drill second hole to mount quick change box to V way. You need to make a jig to guide drill bit on inside of front outer V way. Not very complicated, but Dave Sobel is passed on! Great man to deal with! Joe from Plaza Machinery is also gone. I don't know where to get parts any more. Good luck You will be very happy with this mod, especially the power cross feed!

Life is too short to make a QCGB for a HF anything. :eek: LOL
Mark

Reactions: Z2V
Probably worked perfectly, but I'd rather mod a SB or something a bit more "worthy"
Mark
ps nice to know that a SB9 can be converted to power cross and quickchange- didn't know it was so easy

My dads 9" SBL started out as a 9C. We converted it back in 1978 using a QCGB and apron that came from Dave Sobel. Had to shorten the lead screw and a few other things. Just in the last 10 years, finally found a cross feed screw that was in good shape to install to be able to use the power cross feed, which I don't ever use. Oh well, it's complete now.
Don't let the little things stop you from buying the lathe if it's in good shape with lots of tooling, better buy it before someone else does. Ken

I really like the apron/clutch arrangement on the South Bend, I used it a lot in High School. Good system. Now I want one for myself.
Mark

Back