Camelback info needed ASAP

toolman

Active User
Registered
Hey guys, I just ran across a CL ad for a Cinci-Bickford camelback drill press for $100. My questions are, 1. If it's in good shape, how accurate are these, ie: is there any inherent slop in the quill, or can it be gibbed up or???, 2. How hard is it to get parts if needed? 3. How much do these things actually weigh?

1 - Probably as accurate as any older drill with a sleeve bearing. I would expect .005 runout on any of them. I haven't checked mine.
2 - I don't think I've ever seen a provision for gibs in any drill. It's a plain bearing.
3 - Weight runs pretty close to 1000 lbs. Mine is a Champion 20 and it's about 800 lbs

BUY it you can resell it later if it does not meet youstandards. You can rebuild it if necessary; you can wait a lifetime for asecond opportunity that will never come.
Mike.

Mike, I have a nice one that I am probably going to sell. Where is a good place to offer one?
Blacksmithing forum perhaps?

Generally few drill presses are to be counted upon for accuracy, especially this type; the accuracy is inherent in the tooling (drills, reamers, and whatever. I will say, that there are limits to how much slop is allowable; some of these have a way, such as a split quill housing to take up on some excessive clearence, and spindle plain bearings can be replaced. Case in point, I had a 4ft arm Cincinnati Bickford radial drill that had so much wear to the spindle quill, that it was nearly impossible to drill a hole to a center punch mark within (nearly) 1/16" due to the fact that when you used a point or center drill to pick up the mark, when pressure was applied to the center drill, the spindle would move sideways; you had to compensate by starting the hole to the side of the mark so it would move over to the intended location. The final cure was to line bore the spindle /gearbox housing and make a new (oversize) quill. Later sold it and bought the proper cure, a American Hole Wizard 5' arm radial.

AR1911 - Check out "Old Woodworking Machines" it is a great site!
Mike

1 - Probably as accurate as any older drill with a sleeve bearing. I would expect .005 runout on any of them. I haven't checked mine.
2 - I don't think I've ever seen a provision for gibs in any drill. It's a plain bearing.
3 - Weight runs pretty close to 1000 lbs. Mine is a Champion 20 and it's about 800 lbs

While my Avey (not a camelback) does not have gibs[1] it does have wear adjustment in the head (and double ball bearings in the quill). Of course, it also weighs closer to 2000lb.

[1] The dovetails do have gibs.

John, What model Avey do you have. For a good 30yrs I cant seem to find another like mine. I'm thinking maybe early 1920's.
Its big and heavy about 7'high, all flat belt drive #3MT spindle, runs perfectly smooth and quiet..
sam

116-1630_IMG.JPG 116-1634_IMG.JPG 116-1635_IMG.JPG

Back