Cam-lock for the middle pulley swivel arm (RF-30 clone)

Excellent, glad to hear it. I had tried it, let the swivel swivel, no smoke came out. But then I mostly went back to locking it down, out of being a humble beginner. Like not knowing if I would notice whatever the 'fatal flaw' was, but too late, damage done. I dunno, frayed belts? bearing wear? Harmonic vibration that could degrade surface finish? I didn't think it through, what the bogeyman was. But I'm seldom in a hurry so the extra step to do up those screws didn't cost me much. And now that I have cams, I'm damn well gonna use them! <- classic "sunk cost fallacy" right there.

Changing speeds is a pain I'm lazy but I think the harmonic vibration is better loose.

I have never tightened those two screws on my RF30 clone. Their only purpose is to keep the intermediate pulley shaft from twisting. I Tightened the screws until snug and back them off about 1/8th turn or just enough to allow free rotation of the intermediate pulley base. I think that I last touched them was more than forty years ago.

I have never tightened those two screws on my RF30 clone. Their only purpose is to keep the intermediate pulley shaft from twisting. I Tightened the screws until snug and back them off about 1/8th turn or just enough to allow free rotation of the intermediate pulley base. I think that I last touched them was more than forty years ago.
That's the intel I needed!

My education on the use of a RF-30 consisted of a couple Youtube videos, probably made by people who themselves were beginners, all they know is how to make a Youtube...

I used milling machines at work for about 20 years (small part of my duties and I wasn't trained). But that was Bridgeports, and they weren't mine so let's just say shortcuts were taken. But when you have to buy the mill yourself there's a natural tendency to be more conservative.

But you can't argue with 40 years of success. Thanks for that.

Back