Cam-lock for the middle pulley swivel arm (RF-30 clone)

bulgie

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
When changing spindle speeds (jockeying belt positions), I got tired of loosening the two screws that allow the middle pulley swivel arm to swivel, then tightening them again after.

BTW, how necessary is it to tighten those two screws? How bad would it be to just let the swivel arm swivel? It won't move in use, only when tightening the belts, right? When it floats to the position that balances the belt tensions? I bet that's a FAQ...

But on the assumption those do need to be tight, I replaced the regular M8 screws with cam-locks, borrowed from a bicycle rack, the kind that carries bicycles on the car. You could make you own cams, but using these bike rack parts made it easier.

Now, I flip those two levers up to let it swivel, flip the levers down to lock it. Read on if interested.

all clamped down.jpg

This (below) is the cam open, swivel free to swivel:
cam unlocked.jpg

If you want to make some this way, the bike rack part you need is called a quick-release skewer ("QR" for short), but it's not the normal one that holds QR wheels in the bike, those have a 5 mm shaft. You can't cut M8 threads on a 5 mm shaft. The ones I used have a 9 mm shaft, and AFAIK they are only made for car racks, such as certain kinds of Yakima, Thule etc. The kind of rack where you take the front wheel off the bike and clamp the fork into a QR that's built into the rack. This is a somewhat unusual part, but most bike shops will know what you mean, from this description. Hopefully the part is available separately, but I'll leave that to you to discover. I used QRs that I've had kicking around for some time because, on my rack, I replaced them with locking skewers. As in with a key, anti-theft security.

Here's the QR disassembled:
cam exploded.jpg

You can't chuck that end with the cross-hole, it's imprecisely made and the shaft would flail all about. So I made a shim to hold the shaft in the 3-jaw, for reducing the diameter from 9 to 8 mm:
shim to chuck the shaft.jpg
Shim can be any diameter that's larger than the head of the QR shaft; I used 1/2" 6061. Drill the ID to ~9 mm — I used a letter "S" drill (8.8 mm), and it was pretty tight. A "T" drill (9.1 mm) might have been better. Then one slit with a hacksaw to allow it to tighten. High precision is not needed.

Turn the diameter of the part that needs threads, and thread it to M8 x 1.25 mm. That's the thread in my RF-30 anyway (an Enco clone from the '90s), but I'll bet yours has the same thread.
thread to M8.jpg
remove chucking shim.jpg

The cam-lever and "helmet" parts of the QR have to be assembled onto this shaft after it's threaded down into the head casting, because the lever is too big to spin, it hits the column. Assembly is a little fiddly, but only needs to be done once.

The position of the lever in the closed position might need to be adjusted with a shim washer, if it tightens at an inconvenient angle. You turn the QR and find the spot where it tightens best, by trial and error, and if that position had the lever facing the wrong way, then you'd add a washer under the QR where it bears down on the swivel arm. Use a washer that's not 1.25 mm thick, because that'll make no change in the lever position. You have to go thinner or thicker than the thread pitch to get a change in the tightening position. Mine just worked out, by luck I guess, no washer needed under either QR. Don't forget there are two ways to pass the cam lever through the oval hole in the shaft, so if one way puts the lever at a bad angle, try inserting the cam from the other side.

Dunno if I explained this well, so feel free to hit me with questions.

If you think this is a stupid idea, please be gentle, to spare my tender feelings... NOT! ;) No really, let me know what's wrong with it.

Thanks
Mark

I’m all for easier ways (less tools) for anything and this is a good idea. I have more lever arms around than bike skewers so I’d go that route probably. I have often contemplated why that even needs to be tightened if it moves easily and as long as it has like a locknut retainer in place of the locking mechanism so it can’t somehow come off what would be the harm? Dealing with those lockdowns and my inherent laziness keeps me from adjusting speeds as it is.

I also want to put cam locks on the big bolts that lock the head to the column as they are not fun either. That’s the fun thing about these mill/drills is you can customize endlessly.

They look bicycle saddle Q/R* bolts just made a bit longer to suit a different purpose.

Q/R* = Quick Release

They look bicycle saddle Q/R* bolts just made a bit longer to suit a different purpose.

Q/R* = Quick Release
Yes but I don't think you can use one of those, not without difficulty anyway. Most have a 6 mm shaft so they can't have M8 threads without brazing or welding. Campagnolo made one with 8 mm shaft but a finer thread, M8 x 1.0 mm. Definitely let me know if you know a source for a QR with M8 x 1.25 mm thread.

I also want to put cam locks on the big bolts that lock the head to the column as they are not fun either.

Yeah that project is in my queue also. I will use this Italian Youtube as inspiration though I'm going to change some details.

It's the same cam mechanism as in a bicycle QR, but the genius is in having one cam unlock both bolts at the same time.

Last edited:
I like that quick lock setup for the column. Looks like he has other mods like the electric lift too which is on my list. He also has a spindle lock it looks like which ive thought would be nice. Has he tackled keeping the head from twisting when going up and down?

Lots of good ideas, thanks for posting as I’d never seen this guy before.

Yes but I don't think you can use one of those, not without difficulty anyway. Most have a 6 mm shaft so they can't have M8 threads without brazing or welding. Campagnolo made one with 8 mm shaft but a finer thread, M8 x 1.0 mm. Definitely let me know if you know a source for a QR with M8 x 1.25 mm thread.

Yeah that project is in my queue also. I will use this Italian Youtube as inspiration though I'm going to change some details.

It's the same cam mechanism as in a bicycle QR, but the genius is in having one cam unlock both bolts at the same time.

If you read what I said, I stated they look like bicycle saddle Q/R* bolts, not that they were.

If you read what I said, I stated they look like bicycle saddle Q/R* bolts, not that they were.
Yep, I got that. I hope you didn't think I was correcting you. I was just adding more info.

"TMI" is my middle name!

Speaking of TMI:
If anyone is actually considering doing this, here's a source for two QRs with a big enough shaft to thread to M8:
https://www.amazon.com/CyclingDeal-Mountain-Bicycle-Release-Skewers/dp/B094PM28HH

Not that I recommend Amazon (I don't like them, myself) but this could be convenient for those with prime free shipping. Note this is a pair of skewers for $20. One is 9 mm like the ones I modded for mine; the other has a 10 mm shaft, intended for a rear wheel. But the steps to turn the diameter down and thread to M8 will be the same on each, you just can't use the same "chucking shim" for both. You'll need a second shim with 10 mm hole, but the shim takes like 2 minutes to make.

These Amazon skewers have a more slender type of cam lever, so they may be able to clear the column as you thread them down into the casting, which would be a plus compared to mine. Mine, you have to disassemble the cam head, thread the shaft in, then reassemble, a bit tedious.

Last edited:
Fair point.

That said 30 years ago I had a 3/8" Q/R on the saddle clamp of my Grifter. Got it a local bike shop. Wish I knew what happened to it. Also wish I knew who made it.

BTW, how necessary is it to tighten those two screws? How bad would it be to just let the swivel arm swivel? It won't move in use, only when tightening the belts, right? When it floats to the position that balances the belt tensions? I bet that's a FAQ...

I'm on my second round column mill rf25 now rf30 , I have never tightened them down , haven't ever had them rattle lose , my drill press has a middle pulley that the bolts are a little prone to vibrating out but I just check them every now and again :)

Do you notice any improvement with it locked down ?

Stu

Back