California Fires-here we go again

The Canadians might disagree with you there, lots of big fires in recent years.
Ummm yup British Columbia had its worst fire season in history a year or so back.
The Mountain Pine Beetle devastated our southern province forests leaving behind thousands of hectares of unlit matches.

Last edited:
I just thought some might find it interesting just how far and wide people come to help with these fires. I've been working in Dispatch of the Mendocino Complex, and my main task has been sending people home, most work 14-21 days, then go home. Those on equipment often swap crews, leaving the equipment here and replace with fresh crews.
We have people from all over the US, Alaska, Florida, Maine, Puerto Rico, the US Virgin Islands and many closer. They are bringing over some crews from American Somoa. Also 200 military personnel are deployed as fire crews.

This is just the fire I am working, it is similar on all of these fires, it is truly a group effort on a grand scale. We usually get some from Canada, New Zealand and Australia in bad years too I just haven't seen it on this fire yet.

200 initial response personnel from BC Wildfire Service are headed to Redmond later this week. Was just announced today. There were 800 volunteers, so I think another batch may be deployed later.

-frank

Well, the good news is we finally got some rain during the night, though accompanied by lightning. Hopefully none of
the strikes started anything new. Some areas got more than 1.5" of rain which should help the firefighters, though now
there's concern about flash floods in the burned over areas. Air quality is better, and containment percentages
on the big fires in Oregon are improving as well.

Last edited:
Some evacuations orders in NorCal now are just warnings. Air quality here is breathable again. Hope it holds until the rain season.
Unfortunately tomorrow the winds change again.
Have your KN95 or N95 masks ready.
My wife and I enjoyed four days of clean air along the coast.

Attachments

• 33D11DB3-EB6E-4162-9038-2E12C1ED57D1.jpeg
    33D11DB3-EB6E-4162-9038-2E12C1ED57D1.jpeg
    509.6 KB · Views: 5
  • 76444EAA-7292-4AB3-94B1-8A3FBBA66D64.jpeg
    76444EAA-7292-4AB3-94B1-8A3FBBA66D64.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 5
I don't think Dlane was talking about the fires, and I feel the same way. We've had smoke here for what seems like ever, and I don't mean just this year, the last few days I've tried to stay in the shop or house it's gotten so bad. Some people need to take their heads out of there a$$, and start listening to are scientists. This is not going to get better any time soon if we don't start demanding some change, and action, instead of the same old moronic bull&!!#. I really try to stay out of this arena, I'm not picking one side or the other, there's plenty of blame to go around, but enough is enough. There are innocent lives in the balance, and those at the top just don't care, as long as the money keeps rolling in. Mike

The Canadians might disagree with you there, lots of big fires in recent years.

Last edited:
Last night it rained. Looked out the front door after waking up this morning. You can see for miles and the you can take deep breaths of fresh clean air. If it wasn't for knowing that people have lost their homes and loved ones, I'd be elated.

I was born and raised in Humboldt Co. Sad enough to watch it die financially over the last few decades
but even sadder to see it burn....................
With the pot revenue drying up, towns like Willits must be struggling.
I’m not a big fan of illegal pot farmers bypassing the IRS with cash crops.
Sorry, too political? I don’t smoke dope.
Yes, it’s sad to see these beautiful forests burning.
How can the states fund selective cuts, brush mitigation to reduce wildfires?.
My opinion, let the private sector into federal, private and state lands to take timber as needed with a plan to grow a healthy, renewable forest.
Just saying....

Back