Bushing

Wheresmywrench?

Active User
Registered
A friend of mine has a gear shifter on his motorcycle that needs to be drilled out and have a bushing pressed in. What would be the best material for this, It needs to wear really well as he's always riding when he can. Thanks for any replies.

I think: brass is good, bronze is best.

That was my thoughts also BUT have not been able to find any bronze to make it out of. I'm not in a rush to get it done so I'll keep looking. I don't have the shifter in my possession yet so I'll keep looking. Now another as this is the first time I've made a bushing and it needs to be a pressed in bushing. So how much bigger than the hole does the bushing need to be to be a proper fit?

You can order bronze bushes made of oilite whicbus self oiling or solid bronze the oilite ones are a little weaker I believe. You can get them In many different sizes with finished bores or unfinished. Hardware stores even sell them . I would think you would want a solid bushing but can't be sure.

There's a seller on Amazon that has just about any size bronze bushing you can imagine, and the prices are real good too. You might have to machine it minimally to fit your application, but since it's a custom application, you'd probably have to do that anyway.

There's a seller on Amazon that has just about any size bronze bushing you can imagine, and the prices are real good too. You might have to machine it minimally to fit your application, but since it's a custom application, you'd probably have to do that anyway.

OK I'll have a look for that then and see what he has. Thanks.

If this is a shift lever with a clamp screw to lock it on the shift shaft, than steel or aluminum would be a better choice depending on what the shift lever is made from. The shift doesn't pivot on the shaft so no need for brass or bronze.

It looks like the heel-toe shifter is from Alu cast.
Best is to ream the hole lightly just enough to get it round.
Dress down the axle is is mounted on a small amount and make a thin steel or bronse bushing for it. Make the bushing a press fit in the shifter. with the diameter of the bushing from 0 to 0.05mm, or you could glue it inplace with loctite 648.

If you take to much out of the shifter it could be weakened and break.

After seeing the pics, I agree with the guys that oilite brass will be the best bet. McMaster, Enco, Ebay, take your pic, it should be easy to find.

Back