1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. PLEASE: Read the FORUM RULES BEFORE registering!

Dismiss Notice

Burke MVN Millrite - Newbie - Questions

Discussion in 'BURKE-US MACHINE TOOL & BARKER MACHINES' started by Bill Rosselot, Mar 7, 2017.

1. Bill Rosselot

Bill Rosselot Active Member Active Member

City:
    Columbus
    State:
    Ohio

-Return to Top-

OK, I got the little mill home this weekend, it has some issues with the power feed but I think it could be in the sector handle, works one way but not the other.
    IMG_20170304_134924912.jpg IMG_20170305_171222686.jpg IMG_20170305_174053538_TOP.jpg US Burke Mill MV I  side view.jpg 00B0B_lWnVGAFXgjp_600x450.jpg Then I took the collect chuck out expecting to find a B&S #9 taper and look what I found. nmtb30 taper collet chuck. Anyone else have anything like this? I seen them reground to R8 but this is an universal collet chuck with zz collets. Any help would be great.

Bill

Bob Korves likes this.
  2. JimDawson

JimDawson Global Moderator Staff Member Director

City:
    Sandy
    State:
    Oregon

-Return to Top-

Yup, I have the same on my machine. A bit expensive and hard to find on the used market, but a nice system. I have been buying them up as I find them, probably have about 20 holders now.

Nice machine! :encourage:

Bill Rosselot likes this.
  3. Bill Rosselot

City:
    Columbus
    State:
    Ohio

-Return to Top-

Jim,
    From what I have measured it is a nmbt30 holder, which there are several types of collets you can use such as ER32

Bob Korves likes this.
  4. JimDawson

City:
    Sandy
    State:
    Oregon

-Return to Top-

Yes, that is a NMBT30, sort of. The Erickson QC 30 and the NMBT30 are not quite the same, but for your use with a drawbar would be interchangeable. If using a NMBT30 holder in an Erickson QC spindle, you have to modify the flange to fit. In fact that particular one looks like a genuine Erickson QC30 (Kennametal). You can get just about any collet or nose that you want. I think Ebay will be your friend here. http://www.ebay.com/bhp/nmtb-30

5. Bill Rosselot

City:
    Columbus
    State:
    Ohio

-Return to Top-

Thanks for the information. It is amazing how many people have told me that I needed to get it ground to fit R8.

It has Universal 30.MM on it and uses ZZ collets. Ive found some collets but I was looking to use something like a NMBT30 with a ER2 collet. There is more of them out there. You say I would have to modifiy the flange is QC30 thinner? or what would the modification be.

Bill

6. JimDawson

City:
    Sandy
    State:
    Oregon

-Return to Top-

The Erickson flange is a bit thinner, and has a bit more clearance below the flange. The only reason you would need to modify the NMBT 30 flange is if you had a Erickson QC spindle. If you are using a drawbar, then it makes no difference.

This is an Erickson QC spindle with a NMBT 30 EM holder in it (and my air engraving spindle)

upload_2017-3-7_15-24-33.png

Without the nut on it.
    upload_2017-3-7_15-25-32.png

Last edited: Mar 7, 2017
  7. Bill Rosselot

City:
    Columbus
    State:
    Ohio

-Return to Top-

Jim,
    Thanks for the information. Last night I took the chuck that I have and measured it and found that everything is the same but the flange is thinner like you said. I will use a draw bar in the spindle but if I need to machine the flange a little then I can do that. By going to a NMBT30 collet chuck it will allow me to use collets that are more available, this is my thinking. I have ordered a new collet chuck and I'm going to experiment some. I will post pictures of what I've got.
    Thanks again Jim you have been a big help.

8. JimDawson

City:
    Sandy
    State:
    Oregon

-Return to Top-

My pleasure :)