WTB Burke Millrite - Tx

vinnito1

Registered
Registered
Looking for a Burke or Powermatic Millrite located within ~200 miles driving distance from Ft. Worth. I'm not looking for a project machine that needs TLC. Depending on condition, table size, tooling (etc)...my budget is in the 2K range. For price reference, I just missed one about 200 miles away that was in good condition but no tooling, BS#9, with 7X27 table for $1500

I'd be open to Rockwell 21-100 as well. Plenty of BP's around but they won't fit into my garage space. I've been looking in all the normal places for them ( Craigslist, FB classifieds, groups.io mailing list, etc)

The millrites are great! I just upgraded to a 10x54 Bridgeport clone, but had a R8 8x38 Millrite for years. it is an incredibly capable machine. It is way better than all non-full-size mills I've seen. I know there are a couple of others here (@Bob Korves in particular) who have one, so there is a good community once you find one :)

Careful around BS#9, those collets can be costly. Also, DRO installs can be... challenging thanks to the casting.

I believe powerfeeds are a difficult install, at least on the X axis. My Burke is all manual but doesn't take up much room. I think the standard table was shorter than 38", maybe closer to 30". Dave

From what I gather, this seems to be the most capable mill which i why I'm searching for it :) . I'm aware that the tooling isn't as prominent as R8 or even MT tooling. Doing my home work, I've found a BS#9 ER35 collet and been able to find new import collet sets in the $100-200. As long as the collet run out isn't terrible, i should be able to make do. Ebay and i think a few tool importers a have face mill and boring bar collet adapters as well.

Ideally, I could find a DRO already installed. I saw one of these for sale in TN with a DRO, power feed, and R8 for $1800. Google says it is a 11 hr drive, which is a nonstarter for me. But reading up on everyone's experience with DRO installs and power feeds....i'm up for the challenge.

Lathes UK says the table size options were 27, 32, and 36. I'd be happy with any of them.....as long as it fits :)

I believe powerfeeds are a difficult install, at least on the X axis. My Burke is all manual but doesn't take up much room. I think the standard table was shorter than 38", maybe closer to 30". Dave
I was able to install my X-axis power feed pretty easily, though it DID require modifying the lead screw by turning a bit down. But I had the 36" table (memory said 38, but that has been known to mislead me :D).

From what I gather, this seems to be the most capable mill which i why i'm searching for it :) . I'm aware that the tooling isn't as prominent as R8 or even MT tooling. Doing my home work, i've found a BS#9 ER35 collet and been able to find new import collect sets in the $100-200. As long as the collet run out isn't terrible, i should be able to make do. Ebay and i think a few tool importers a have facemill and boring bar collet adaptors as well.

Ideally, I could find a DRO already installed. I saw one of these forsale in TN with a DRO, power feed, and R8 for $1800. Google says it is a 11 hr drive, which is a nonstarter for me. But reading up on everyone's experience with DRO installs and power feeds....i'm up for the challenge.
So X and Y DRO was easy enough to install.. Z axis was a giant PITA thanks to the column being rounded and tapered in about 30 dimensions.

Millrites were made with R8 spindles. I have one of them. Keep looking until you find one. They are fairly common, though there are also lots of B&S#9 spindles out there as well. Both types will work well for you, just a matter of tooling pricing and availability...

My MVN has an R8 spindle, 27 inch table and 6 speeds from 260 to 3440. 1hp 3 phase Baldor running on a VFD.
No power feeds, no CNC, no DRO, no worries.

Back