1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. PLEASE: Read the FORUM RULES BEFORE registering!

Dismiss Notice

Burke Feed Rates

Discussion in 'BURKE-US MACHINE TOOL & BARKER MACHINES' started by Glenn Brooks, Dec 11, 2016.

1. Glenn Brooks

Glenn Brooks H-M Supporter - Premium Content H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Woodinville
    State:
    Washington

-Return to Top-

Closing in on getting my Burke #4 operational. Just making some work holding and t nuts to hold stuff down, then should be ready to go - finally.

Can anyone advise what the factory cutting feed rates are for the machine , based on it being equiped with the original Master gear reduction motor (280 RPM output to the spindle if I recall correctly) and the mechanical table mounted gear box?

I would like to make up a chart showing the various auto feed rates in IPR for each spindle speed. Also, I assume I am looking for IPR here (inches per revolution of the spindle)?? Rather than IPM- yes?

If not available, what formula would I use to compute all this given the pulley diameters?

Thanks much
    Glenn

Last edited: Dec 11, 2016
  2. Reeltor

Reeltor United States Active User Active Member

City:
    Lawrenceville
    State:
    Georgia

-Return to Top-

3. dgehricke

dgehricke United States Active User H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Tampa
    State:
    Florida

-Return to Top-

Glenn,
    Feed rate for the burke is determined by what material you are cutting tool steel, stainless aluminum, bronze all have different feed rates if you look at this site there are rates for everything.
    < http://www.davehylands.com/Machinist/Charts/ >
    Regards
    Wally G
    dgehricke

4. Glenn Brooks

City:
    Woodinville
    State:
    Washington

-Return to Top-

Thanks Wally, I was asking about the table's power feed rates. Or maybe it's better to say the table's rates of advance in IPM as set by the ratio of the pulley diameters that drive the power feed mechanism. There seem to be a number of different choices, depending on spindle speed and which pulley the auto feed mechanism belt is set on. Iam hoping to find a chart or table that shows all the various available speeds.

Regards
    Glenn

5. dgehricke

dgehricke United States Active User H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Tampa
    State:
    Florida

-Return to Top-

Glenn,
    My Burke runs from right to left because of the auto shut off feature on the table,it can be set to work in either direction.
    I also had my motor running in CCW and I went nuts trying to figure out how to change it.
    My gear motor was also running at 587 RPMs and no slower,so I changed that also with a different motor and a reversing switch so it will run either way and the pulleys now slide on the machine spindle and is locked in place when I have the pulley size that I want.
    You will find that there is no set rules for operating this machine in the Army manual there is only 1 page for operating instructions whis is below;

The operation of the #4 Milling Machine is so simple that no specific instructions are required. For possible assistance, the following is suggested:

Spindle Speeds: To change spindle speeds, raise the motor, place the driving V belt in the proper groove on the

motor pulley and in the corresponding groove on the spindle pulley. The smallest groove on the motor pulley produces the slowest spindle speed.

Power Feed Speeds: There are four alternative longitudinal table feed speeds for each spindle speed. The smallest groove on the power feed drive pulley (attached to the spindle) provides the slowest table feed.

Power Feed: To engage the power feed, depress the power feed pawl (part B-713) while the motor is running. Throwouts (parts B-723) may be set to disengage the power feed automatically where desired. The table feed may also be stopped by turning off the motor or by manually disengaging the pawl. Reversing the motor will reverse the direction of table travel.

Gib Adjustment: Adjustable gibs are provided between the table and saddle (table gib), saddle and knee (saddle gib), and knee and column (knee gib). The saddle and knee gibs are each provided with three adjusting screws, the center one of which is the lock screw.

After the machine has been set up for a particular horizontal milling operation, lock the saddle and knee gibs in place. This will assure additional rigidity. The table gib is provided with four adjusting set

TM 9-3417-215-14&P

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

screws and nuts.
    nuts tightened in place to maintain constant torque.

The tension on each of these screws should be approximately the same, with the

Starting Switch: To reverse the direction of rotation of the motor, turn the drum type switch handle to the neutral position, and allow the motor to come to a complete stop. Then turn the switch handle to the reverse position.

I hope this helps
    Regards
    Wally G
    dgehricke

6. Glenn Brooks

City:
    Woodinville
    State:
    Washington

-Return to Top-

Wally, thanks. Yes, does help. Confirms what several others have said about bi directional table movement. Being new to horizontal mills, my initial thought was maybe there is a preferred direction of milling and I somehow reassembled the drive or motor connections wrong. Now I see see it's more a matter of retraining my brain to work 'horizontally'.

Glenn