Bump flaking

If your shoulder is getting sore, you are pushing down to hard. You should only anchor it in your shoulder. In the area to the inside of the shoulder bone. Some make a longer handle and lay it on top of the shoulder. You have to anchor it there only. If you watch when I teach in in the NYC CNC show at I think it's at 15 min in I tell the student to bend over forward feeling like your going to fall forward and before striking the flaker practice leaning backwards and drag it in a straight line. The handle is rolled to the left of the blade where I have the black line. You squeeze the handle and as you strike the opposite side of thee handle, the tight grip springs back to the spot you had it before you hit it.

It is a hand ,eye, body co-ordination. You do not rotate your hand, you hold it solid and the handle rotates back and forth from spring action. Practice dragging it backwards a lot before hitting it. After each line is pulled across the plate shift your feet in a move your toes to the left or right depending it your moving in that direction, pivot on the balls of you feet a couple of inches and then your heels, toes -, heels shift. and pick up the handle at the back of the pull back and lift the handle up aand set it over a 1/2" at the top and drag it back and after you get the hang of that start to hit the handle. with a hammer, straight at your belly, with your hand, hit it on the up swing as you rotate your hand in a circle hit. It is a hell of a lot easier to show it, then write it...lol

Paolo was show how to do it with your fist and how you swing in a circle. Thanks for the advice I am going to try it.

Looks great. Did he tell you where you should flake and where not to? And why you flake? (just checking) lol May as well make this a learning curve for everyone reading :)

On the surfaces that you do not see so that dirt and grime does not get in. Flaking is done to retain oil to slow wear so that the machine lasts longer.

I just found a hacksaw blade that was a scraper from 6 months ago, back then I was hoping one person would even try to help me know the king of scraping (pun intended) is helping me, thank you so much!

You should join my Facebook forum and tell the 900+ members how you can do it. :) It's under my company Name.

PS: I am really proud of you and now your one of the "grand kids" trained by one of the "Kids" . I'm not sure you've heard that story. I was teachng a class in Istanbul Turkey at Spinner Machine. They build new CNC lathes. I had an interpreter and on the last day we had a Q&A session and we passed out the graduation certificates. One of the students stood up and started to talk (turkish) and as he talked he started to cry. He stopped and the Interpreter started and said "Mr. King, your now my 2nd Father as when my real Father was alive he taught me what he knew to make me a man. Then he said you taught me to improve my work and life. So since then I call my students my "Kids".

Last edited:
Lots of practice today!

Attachments

• 59FF48CB-6D86-49FA-9C10-D4F952E2A1A7.jpeg
    59FF48CB-6D86-49FA-9C10-D4F952E2A1A7.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 16
  • A2D4958B-E432-4847-ACDA-B9D2C2286E1B.jpeg
    A2D4958B-E432-4847-ACDA-B9D2C2286E1B.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 17
Back