Bull gear index pin and holes, what are they used for?

Re: Bull grear index pin and holes, what are they used for?

Boy, I guess I missed the mark on that one!! I had forgotten all about the index holes on the Atlas bull gears. I don't know the 'official' intended purpose on those, but I believe some of the other guys are hitting pretty close on that.

Thanks guys, I now see how they can be used.

Regarding the guy fluting with the Oliver: 1) he really needs to get the lead screw working(if it has one), 2) he's probably near deaf with that screaming router and no hearing protection.

http://youtu.be/5iO05_UzSfY

Brian

There are 60 holes on the bull gear. This gives you the capability to layout markings on dials, mark and drill holes around a circle, such as 5 holes for a wheel hub - one hole every 12 pin holes etc etc. it is like a built in spin indexer or rotary table. Can also be use to lock the spindle and cut a key way on a shaft. Lots of ways to use these holes.

BTW The new 10F bull gears do not come with the holes anymore. I had to add them when I got the replacement from Clausings.
Pierre

Funny, that's what I WOULD have used them for! I guess I was thinking too much... But you can always learn something new to find out! :)

Bernie

Do you use that dowel pin to lock the spindle to remove the chuck?

This is a bit late but you should never try to use the indexing pin to lock the spindle for chuck removal. If the chuck is fairly well stuck, you can shear the pin off and ruin one of the indexing holes..

Robert D.

Back