Building a New Mower

rdean

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I made a mower for my 1951 WD Allis Chalmers Tractor in 2006 and over the years I have made some improvements and repairs but I knew the mower was getting kind of weak in the knees. I thought I should have a closer look and thought I would just need to do some minor repairs to the frame and be ready for a few more years of use.
I wasn't ready for what I found.
IMG_0461.JPG
IMG_0481.JPG
IMG_0479.JPG
IMG_0478.JPG
I guess I should be glad that the mower didn't fall apart completely so it is time for a new frame.

This mower is just shy of 8 feet wide and rides on two 12" wheels in the front and is attached to the tractor in the rear. I have 3 acres of lawn to mow usually once a week during most of the year but for the next few months probably only once a month.
That's 17 years of use so I think I got my moneys worth and proven the design is sound.

This is where I am now after hours of cutting and welding and $260 of steel.
IMG_0472.JPG
IMG_0473.JPG

The 3 spindles all overhauled with new bearings and a paint job.
IMG_0467.JPG

The mower has 5 idler pulleys so I cleaned them up, replaced the bearings and gave them a new paint job.
IMG_0465.JPG
IMG_0469.JPG

Next is cutting out for and drilling the holes for the spindles.

Thanks for looking
Ray

You had your money's worth. To change out the bearings in the idle pulleys did you have to drill out the rivets and split them?

I think I originally had to drill out some to split them but some came with bolts. Over the years I have replaced these bearings several times so I am not sure how they came.

Thanks
Ray

I cut the slots and drilled the mounting holes for the spindles today. Things are looking up as the blades miss hitting each other by about a 1/4".
This shows a couple of shots of the blade belt routing.
IMG_0482.JPG

IMG_0483.JPG

I removed the three spindles and the idler pulleys and welded in the pulley arbors. I think I am done welding on the top of the deck and will do some scraping and wire brushing tomorrow. I still have to turn the deck over and do all the welds on the other side. I also have to add some 1/8" X 1 1/2" flat steel to the bottom for the top panels to attach to but I don't have that material and the supplier is closed on Wednesdays.

Maybe I will have time to get some done on my engine project.

Thanks for looking
Ray

Looking good.
I rebuilt a John Deere commercial mower a few years back. Had to patch a few rust holes. Sand blasted it, then coated the underside with box liner. Seams to be holding up pretty good, and the grass doesn't seam to stick to it. A lot tougher than paint at least.

Greg

I have heard of that before and apparently it works quite well so I may try that.

Today I turned the frame over and finished all the welds underneath.
Tomorrow I will pick up some flat steel to make the supports for the fill panels and may start welding them in place.
Its a 50 mile round trip and the wife wants to buy groceries

Well that was Thursday and I forgot to hit the "Post Reply" button on the above thread but I did get some time to cut, drill, and weld on some of the supports.
Today I finished the supports and painted the under side of the frame.
I will flip it over tomorrow and paint the top side but still a lot left to do.
IMG_0491.JPG

The majority of the welding is done and that doesn't bother me one bit. I used to be able to make some nice welds but now between the sore back and shaky hands not so good. It's not going to fall apart and a thick coat of paint makes it look better.

Thanks for looking
Ray

Got the top painted today with 3 coats.
IMG_0502.JPG

Tomorrow I will start on mounting the spindles if the paint is dry enough.

Thanks for looking

Ray

Looks good. Like the orange. Hope the bright orange doesn't outshine the old tractor.

Back