Budget 115pcs Stub Length Cobalt Drill Set?

For the rare times I’ve needed a stubby drill, I just cut a jobber length in half and resharpen.

That’s not what you’re asking for, but it’s basically free, and adds something to your skill set.

Thanks. Maybe I should buy good drills in stages at $150-$200 per set? Of the separate sets below, which would I find more commonly used? I’m a novice, so will be doing simpler work for a while.

1/16" - 1/2" by 64ths
A - Z
No. 1 - 60
For a 7x14?

1-60 number drills hands down.

This will cover all of your tapping needs up to #12 threads or #6mm, or roughly there about.

Buy the number set outright, then buy quality letter and fractional boxes, and fill these first with tap drill and clearance bits for same first.

Then you can fill the rest out as you go.

For the rare times I’ve needed a stubby drill, I just cut a jobber length in half and resharpen.

That’s not what you’re asking for, but it’s basically free, and adds something to your skill set.
I have done this too, but the web requires quite a bit of thinning.

+1
you would be surprised at how many I have accumulated!

Screw machine bits are my most used, but I only have them in fractional. I have a 115 pc set of Cleveland jobber bits that have been good but you're looking at some $. I think the recommendation for a number set, for a mini lathe, seems like a good idea. It will contain all the sizes needed for tapping up to about 1/4". Save up some $ for a good set of taps, nothing worse than snapping a tap in an important part. I really like the spiral taps but they are $$$. Spiral point would be a 2nd choice. Stay away from hardware store taps! Over the years I've had some expensive lessons in what not to do. Generally spot drilling first is a good idea.

I wouldn't get hung up on on cobalt. A set of 21 Chicago Latrobe US made stub length bits (x64th to 3/8) is $63 on Amazon. For mini lathe sized stuff seems like a reasonable starting place for $63.

I'm a rank amateur at this but I've noticed a consistent theme with drills......good bits aren't cheap and cheap bits aren't good.

Back