Budget 115pcs Stub Length Cobalt Drill Set?

MaverickNH

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I’m looking for a budget <$150 115pcs Stub (Screw Machine) dill set for use with my 7x16 mini-lathe, cobalt M35 135 degree preferred. I’m sure they’re out there, but I can find one that doesn’t say Jobber length or costs $350+. Any help appreciated.

I’ll subscribe to the idea of replacing the often-used drills with high quality US-made drills as I go along.

BRET

Last edited:
I've had pretty good luck buying from these folks:

Ted
Thanks. Maybe I should buy good drills in stages at $150-$200 per set? Of the separate sets below, which would I find more commonly used? I’m a novice, so will be doing simpler work for a while.

1/16" - 1/2" by 64ths
A - Z
No. 1 - 60

I would definitely go with the fractional set first (1/16 - 1/2). Next would be the Number set as they are needed often as tap drill sizes. Letter drills are also used for tap drill sizes, but not nearly as frequently. Sometimes the Number and Letter drills are just needed for a hole size that is in between the standard fractional sizes.
Ted

I was fortunate to find a 115 pc U.S. made stub drill set on CL for $150. Even more fortunately, they guy was willing to ship. Those damn sets are expensive!

FWIW, if you're looking to buy separate sets as you go, I bought this Cleveland 29 piece set 9 years ago. 1/16”-1/2” in 1/64” steps. It has served me well.

I bought a shars set of cobalt bits. They are well ground, but the heat treat is nothing short of crispy crunch. I really loathe to use them. On the other side of that experience, I got a bunch of drills made in Brazil by PDT, and those are pro-quality stuff. It's not even a cry at checkout scenario, they are well priced on the secondary market. For general purpose, Cleveland Twist Drill stuff will last a very long time. Just avoid China makes for this sort of thing, they come at a savings but often with a heap of regrets when they break and scrap your part.

HF has a set that includes fractional to 1/2” by 1/64”, numbers to 60, and letters A to Z for $119.00. They don’t say what length they are.

I bought a set some 20 years ago for work on the road. They aren’t the greatest, but will do the job. I went through them with my Black Diamond drill grinder a few years ago and they now cut mild steel and other metals like butter. One caveat is I can’t speak for the quality of anything newer

I use name brand drills in the stationary tools and buy them by the pack

Back