Buck 112 question?

8ntsane

Active User
Registered
Not really a question about making knives.

Maybe you knife guys could shed some light on this.
I had a Buck 110 for about 35 yrs. It had been recently lost, and I replaced it with the smaller Buck 112 Ranger.

The question is, did Buck make a design change over the yrs to make the blade a lot stiffer to open? This new 112 is so stiff, that with a thumb stud its a bear to open. My old 110 was really easy to open with the thumb stud, and it allways was, as I got that 110 brand new aswell.

I like the Buck 112 other than this, but have other liner lock knives I prefer. Just wondering if anyone knows the story on this.

No inside info on the design, but I would suspect a quality control issue. Also, you can lube it up, open and close it a few thousand times (about 35 years worth) and then compare them.:whistle:

No inside info on the design, but I would suspect a quality control issue. Also, you can lube it up, open and close it a few thousand times (about 35 years worth) and then compare them.:whistle:

Ya, I tried the lube, It didn't change anything, that I could notice anyway.
Open and close it ( about 35 years worth) I don't think I have that long of time left on this earth. :cussing::yikes::whistle:

I have use a little bit of fine valve grinding compound on a stiff pair of pliers with good results.

Back