Brown & Sharpe 2lb Surface Grinder

It is too far for me to go or I would at least look at it. If nothing else you might make a friend.

Like the others I'd be on it in a flash. You can bet if it's good it won't last long , the cheap resellers aren't on it cause it's in the just right price range . Yupp I've been looking and trying to get one for a year or so. When I have the money none around .

I didn't know I needed one, but I found a small one in nice condition last summer, and brought it home. I cleaned it up and rolled it into the corner until I found a project.
IMG_6060.JPG

So a few weeks ago I bought a beat-up angle-lok 6" milling vise. The sliding surfaces were corroded and dipped, the whole thing looked awful, but i just wanted it for a bench vise. I ran the stone across those slideways a fe times and was very pleased with the result. Now I see all kinds of things that can benefit from a pass or two. I even thought about sharpening my electric razor's blades with it.

IMG_6593.JPG
IMG_6594.JPG

The finish isn't perfect, probably from using the wrong stone. But for the purpose I was fine with it.

Yes, AR1911, looks like you are getting some chatter there. Check the balance and lateral runout of the stone as well, and look for play in the machine. Still, it looks pretty good, way better than it probably did new! Turn it over and do the bottom as well to make both sides nice and parallel. And the jaws, and the... 8^)

That's a nice little machine. I wanted a smaller one, but I got a really good deal, $450. Needs to be cleaned up, and I will probably do a complete tear down and repaint next year.

IMG_20151129_135349329.jpg

Jason

I am afraid I waited a little too long... it appears to be sold.....
I wouldn't sweat it. I probably would have passed that one up. Bigger than I would have wanted, and a little high. I gave $400 for mine, and it's about the ideal size for me. Production shops don't have much use for the little ones, but hobbyists do.
Keep in mind as you look, extra stones and especially the stone adapters to fit the machine add a lot of value. The adapters for mine run about $60 new, and only one company makes them. Also try to get a stone dressing fixture with it. I had to make one, took about an hour using a diamond point I had in the scrap bin.

Turn it over and do the bottom as well to make both sides nice and parallel. And the jaws, and the... 8^)

It's plenty good enough for a bench vise. If it ends up on a mill I'll finish the job.

Back