Brown & Sharpe 2lb Surface Grinder

Nebraska Kirk

Registered
Registered
I found this surface grinder on Craig's List. Description says it is a Brown & Sharpe 2LB. It has a 6x18 magnetic chuck. Machine was restored and updated to a 2hp 220v single phase motor, asking price is $750. My question, is this something that is worth getting? I don't know much about these machines and I can't think of anything I would use it for at the moment, but maybe in the future? Your comments and suggestions are welcome!

00808_d9eqcTDv8xd_600x450.jpg

I feel your dilemma. I don't have any need for one, either, but I want one. Go figure. I've been watching a couple of Rockwells in my area, in about the same price range.

If you've got the cash and the room for it, I say yes!

What are you waiting for?

edit: And 2LB is not a typo. It’s actually the model number. And maybe check it out when running/testing it. One phase motors tend to not run as smooth as 3 phase motors do. So that could telegraph into the grind finish.

Last edited:
I found this surface grinder on Craig's List. Description says it is a Brown & Sharpe 2LB. It has a 6x18 magnetic chuck. Machine was restored and updated to a 2hp 220v single phase motor, asking price is $750. My question, is this something that is worth getting? I don't know much about these machines and I can't think of anything I would use it for at the moment, but maybe in the future? Your comments and suggestions are welcome!

View attachment 116771
That is a quite old machine, but looks to be nicely cleaned up, much better looking than what is usually for sale. The table lifts right off surface grinders, so take a look at the ways to see if they look good and/or if they have been re-scraped. Sometimes "restorations" are just cosmetic and the machine remains clapped out beneath the lipstick. If that grinder was close to me I would be all over it. Grind something or have the owner grind something if you are not familiar with surface grinders. Listen for a smooth running spindle and smoothly sliding ways that don't get tight at the ends of their travel.

Looks like a basement shop, it might need to be partially disassembled to get it out of there...

Holy smokes! Grab that baby and bring it home!! It looks like a lot of care and effort went into the machine. Of course paint can used to cover up a lot of misuse and wear. Often you don't see the magnetic chuck included in the sale, which is a very expensive add on. So it might be a nice acquisition.

I would use a surface grinder to make nice flat, polished surfaces in parts. Particularly when maintaining or rebuilding old machines. For example grinding tables on mills flat, or refurbishing/polishing main rods on model steam engines, cleaning up surface putting and rust etc.

What? you haven't gone and picked that up yet?

I know what you mean. I looked at them for months, and I finally picked one up in a package deal a few weeks back. Word of possible caution, my machine is an old Reid, its much heavier than it looks, like 1600 lbs. You may want to check into the weight, so you don't have any issues moving it.. Also surface grinders are cheap, while the accessories are expensive.

If you have the room and cash, I would at least go look at it.

Jason

Back