Brown & Sharp Dividing Head!

David

Active User
Registered
I picked this up the other day and was hoping someone here may have the same head or information about it.

The gentelman I got it from is a retired tool & die maker who had owned it for 40 plus years. The head and tail stock move and function as they should but need a good cleaning.

From what I can gather it is a 10" B&S. There are no identifying markings other than the B&S badge.

I know one thing, it is heavy! Does anybody have one?

Brown & sharpe Indexer 001.jpg Brown & sharpe Indexer 002.jpg

I picked this up the other day and was hoping someone here may have the same head or information about it.

.................From what I can gather it is a 10" B&S...............?

David,

Nice score!

I have a instruction and parts manual that I got online somewhere that has information on what they call the B&S #0, #1, and #2. I have included a screen capture below of the #0 & #1 that shows the dimensions. A 10 inch head would appear to be a #1 but I also noted that your head has a different design for the swivel saddle clamp mechanism so it may be an older or newer model.
Capture B&S Sizes.JPG

I have a much earlier version that has yet another version of the swivel locking. I have included a photo below.
Old B&S Index Head.jpg

Sorry I don't have the exact information on your model.

Benny
The Orphanage Never Closes

Capture B&S Sizes.JPG Old B&S Index Head.jpg

I'm sorry David but I don't have any info on your dividing head, but I do have an opinion - it's a nice one with everything but fresh paint. You're fortunate to get the tailstock as the frequently go astray.
Michael

David,

Nice score!

I have a instruction and parts manual that I got online somewhere that has information on what they call the B&S #0, #1, and #2. I have included a screen capture below of the #0 & #1 that shows the dimensions. A 10 inch head would appear to be a #1 but I also noted that your head has a different design for the swivel saddle clamp mechanism so it may be an older or newer model.
View attachment 75063

I have a much earlier version that has yet another version of the swivel locking. I have included a photo below.
View attachment 75064

Sorry I don't have the exact information on your model.

Benny
The Orphanage Never Closes

Thanks Benny. I'm not sure of the age but I know it is old. I will continue to look for info on this unit. I guess the setup and operation is basically the same on the B&S models?

I have one very close to the one you pictured. mine is the universal model though, it has the gears to use to do helical cuts. mine has a pat. date of 1917

Hello David,

I don't own a B&S dividing head, but I noticed that your DH has a plate behind the chuck for direct dividing. That's a nice feature. Tubalcain posted a video recently about a Cincinnati DH that he bought that has that same feature.

Here's the link...

Brian :)

well, its not letting me post pics?

Click on Upload a File (Right next to Post Reply), Click on Choose File. It will upload automatically.
Then below, choose Thumbnail or Full Image to insert it into the text editor.

Back