Bronze

Great discussion. Note "inferior" materials are just fine if the situation does not require specific properties. As we all know, there are situations where the exact material composition is of great importance, but a majority of builds only require fairly minimal or very broad material characteristics, Most of what I do is either Aluminum or mild steel, and the grade is not too important in most of the parts for my project. Furthermore, while more expensive materials are often easier to machine, the trade off can be cost for time and ease of working, rather than suitability for function. For a production shop, time is a very expensive commodity, but for those of us who are hobbyists or small scale production shops and are on a rather strict budget, cost of materials is high on the priority scale.

I can't really tell anyone what to do, but if it were me, and I had the spare change, I would probably go for it. Having too great a variety of materials on hand isn't really a thing.

Hmm. Maybe it is a thing,after all. I would be happy to help anyone who has just too much of some materials by allowing them to ship some to me. :grin big:

Having too great a variety of materials on hand isn't really a thing.

Hmm. Maybe it is a thing,after all.

It's a thing! Several threads and posts have come up where guys have too much material. I feel sad for them, they go to great lengths (pun) to sort and stack their stock (alliteration) into buckets of brass and bins of tin (more alliteration and a rhyme). They're like squirrels with nuts (simile) performing a Sisyphean feat of organization (metaphor), rearranging their hoards ad infinitum (hyperbole). But they're happy their stock is there, and so are their drops, lined up like soldiers at the ready (anthropomorphic simile). The more stock you have, the closer you are to future perfect.

I couldn't have been an English major, they were all obviously doing it for the money (sarcasm).

I am a bit concerned that the guy at the scrap yard might not be able to tell me the exact alloy. It seems there are tons of alloys. I'm hoping it's an aluminum bronze or leaded bronze. Seems like those would cover my intended uses the best.

Frankly if I needed to make a bushing in a pinch it doesn't have to be the perfect alloy. If I can get a farmer moving again it will be worth it's weight in gold.

It's a thing! Several threads and posts have come up where guys have too much material. I feel sad for them, they go to great lengths (pun) to sort and stack their stock (alliteration) into buckets of brass and bins of tin (more alliteration and a rhyme). They're like squirrels with nuts (simile) performing a Sisyphean feat of organization (metaphor), rearranging their hoards ad infinitum (hyperbole). But they're happy their stock is there, and so are their drops, lined up like soldiers at the ready (anthropomorphic simile). The more stock you have, the closer you are to future perfect.

I couldn't have been an English major, they were all obviously doing it for the money (sarcasm).
Hahaha that was great, what were we talking about?

That is an incredible peice of material.
It's not the same as quarreling away cold roll or low grade aluminum., that is the bushing inside all those low grade materials that makes them perform like tougher materials. Great,great score.

Google only brings up copper-iron under Cda194.
https://www.wieland.com/en/content/download/13751/file/Alloy-Price-Sheet.pdf, bronze is a copper alloy.

https://www.advancebronze.com/bronze-alloy-chart/ see 194 it's uses are
Centrifugally Cast - Tin Bronzes
(C903, C905, C907, C916)
Tin bronze offers excellent corrosion resistance along with good wear resistance and reasonably high strength. Used in sleeve bearings, they wear especially well against steel.
Typical uses:

Last edited:
Back