Bronze Sleeve Bushing Vs Needle Roller Bearing

Kroll

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Guys if you had a choice, which one would you choose and why?Both would be lubricated with oil via splash as it works it way down the shaft to either bushing or roller.This shaft is power by belt driven 3hp motor so I guess there is alittle downward pressure which makes me think that needle rollers would be better.But going the roller route the sizes are limited but with the bushing I can bore it out to size.Guys over in the Clausing section is my story about oil seal,bearing if you want to find out what's behind this question.Thanks---kroll
Story behind the question http://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/oil-seal-for-the-colchester.44154/

Last edited:
I would go with the bushing since you say it's going to be splash lubricated. Needle bearings need a hardened shaft to run on and yours may not be quite hard enough. I seem to recall the needle bearings I have used were running against Rockwell 56C material. Jack

Thanks Jack,I did not know that.Scratch roller bearings off my list---kroll

Please clarify. You mention needle and roller. Roller would be fine since they have an inner and outer ring. However as mentioned needle bearing require a harden shaft or sleeve.

David

Back