Bronze bushing with 2 degree angled hole

Martisan

Registered
Registered
I want to make some suspension bushings for my 62 Porsche to alter the camber. They are about 1 3/8” od with a 3/4” hole, about 2 degrees from co-axial. I have a lathe with 3 and 4 jaw chucks, and probably of little help, a drill press. The angle is not super critical as long as all four pieces match.
(I want some negative camber on the front wheels so it corners better)

You could use the compound set to 2 degrees and feed a boring bar by hand with the compound handwheel Edit! This will just make a tapered hole. I didn't have my coffee finished. Lol The only way on a lathe I can think is to mount some kind of router or motor on the compound and feed a cutter with the lathe not running. Kinda like a milling machine.
With a milling machine, you could bore a 1-3/8" hole in a sacrificial piece of material to press the bushing in. Then mount this in the vice at 2 degrees and use a boring head to finish the inside dimension.
Martin W

Last edited:
Make a pot chuck / bushing holder with the I.D., at 2 degree angle and just a little bigger than the O.D. of the bushings that you are making to mount in your lathe chuck. Use 1 or 2 set screws to secure the bushings in the pot chuck and also to use as timing marks for alignment. When fabricating the pot chuck, you could use the drill press to obtain an undersized bore at the 2 degree angle to be used in set up in the lathe.

Mount the bushings with your compound set at the 2 degree angle. Chuck a boring bar in your 4 jaw and offset the cutter like a boring head to get your ID.

Make a holder to hold the stock at the desired angle in the lathe chuck. I would use the mill to make 1 holder with a snug fit or 3D print 4 holders with a press fit.

Making your bushing using only a lathe and drill press will be a challenge but not insurmountable. I would male a fixture from a square block to hold the bushings. To bore the hole for the bushing, if my drill press was rigid enough, I would tilt the table to 2º, clamp the fixture to the table, and drill a hole as large as would be possible given my tooling. A hole saw should get you to an 1/8" or so undersized. Then, a boring head would be used to bore the hole to finished size. Lacking a boring head, a fly cutter will work. It's just more finicky setting hole size.

If the drill press isn't up to the task, I would mount the fixture on my compound, squaring it to the spindle axis with compound set at 0º and the rotating the compound 2º and locking it. Then I would mount my drill, hole saw, and fly cutter in the spindle chuck and cut my hole.

I would mount the fixture in the four jaw chuck and align it as required. To hold the bushings, I would either use a set screw or a slit in the fixture. If you use the slit, always loosen/tighten the same jaw to remove the finished bushings so the next bushing retains the same alignment. This should allow you to make accurate parts.

Thanks. If I had a mill I’d probably bore them in the mill. My Chinese drill press is a poor substitute though.

Back