Broken tooth

Thanks for the thoughts Paul, I guess we'll see how it lasts. I know typically using a MIG on cast does not produce the best strength, I'm banking on the relatively low pressure that this gear has. We'll see!

Heck, if I am seeing the photo right, it was just a chipped tooth, probably would have worked for years as is. Nevertheless, you did a great job. Congrats!

Heck, if I am seeing the photo right, it was just a chipped tooth, probably would have worked for years as is. Nevertheless, you did a great job. Congrats!

Look closer at the top - middle pic. Tooth is pretty much gone.

-Ron

The missing tooth on the 80 tooth gear will probably hang up with a tooth on a much smaller gear like the 18 tooth mating gear. Probably won't run for very long until it hangs up with the mating gear teeth.
I have a back gear on my 9" SBL that has a tooth missing on the smaller gear. Been running like that for 50+ years! Yet to be fixed. Dad would not let me fix the tooth when I was younger, neither would he. I now have bought a replacement back gear that has all of it's teeth. Haven't installed it, will do it one of these days.

My 9A bull gear had 7 teeth missing, still worked with a little noise, didn't try it under heavy loads though. Even after I repaired it I didn't notice a significant difference.

Last edited:
Back