Bringing a PM-1054TV-3PH into my Garage

Trust me here, that looks good but, I weld almost every day and I can ruin a surface finish with one pass!
I plan to re-use that exact same plate hundreds of times. The flat sides need to be coplanar, both coupons need to have 90° angles everywhere, & both coupons need to have matching dimensions (starting with thickness!) for the post-welding machining/recycling process.

I know that welding on filler material isn’t the best practice, but who can afford to buy large quantities of 1” plate?

You can easily recycle (“machine back to original dimensions for re-use”) pipe, plate & tubing welding coupons, but I can’t think of any (practical, in terms of time & money) way to do that for sheet coupons. My .125” thick, 3” X 4”, mild steel coupons cost me $1.09 out the door.

Maybe it would be worth it to face both sides (mill the weld beads on either side down flat) and cut them in half, but I don’t believe so for $1.09.

I don't think I am following you on the one-inch plate that you plan on using hundreds of times. You mean you are going to lay down beads of weld and then mill them off and do it again?

I'm all for practice and learning how to do it right but way not buy a bunch of stock and learn while making a welding cart, table, bicycle rack, a cart for your extra lathe chucks. Anyway, that's the way I have did it, I'm pretty confident with a MIG and Stick welder but I am still learning how to TIG weld. The same thing goes, I'm making things as I learn.

I don't think I am following you on the one-inch plate that you plan on using hundreds of times. You mean you are going to lay down beads of weld and then mill them off and do it again?

I'm all for practice and learning how to do it right but way not buy a bunch of stock and learn while making a welding cart, table, bicycle rack, a cart for your extra lathe chucks. Anyway, that's the way I have did it, I'm pretty confident with a MIG and Stick welder but I am still learning how to TIG weld. The same thing goes, I'm making things as I learn.
Our property is already *packed* with people, dogs and stuff. One more welding cart or bicycle rack and I won’t have a place to stand. If I made something for somebody else, I would have to store the materials in our minivan (the back half of which is already being used as a storage unit).

OK, Got it... So, you need a new place with a large shop out in the country with your closest neighbor too far away to shout at, three phase power, high speed internet and on a lake with a dock......... LOL.

Back to reality, keep up the good work.
Did you see his bill from the riggers? I don't think he will be moving his equipment anytime soon.

It cost me $1000 to transport my fire engine 60 miles and that was just one guy with a truck and lowboy, so $1700 for a couple guys, truck trailer and forklift seems pretty normal to me.

I am just realizing how much money I saved by moving all this stuff around myself. A drop bed trailer is worth every rental penny.
Fortunately I have a friend with much the same vices so we both save a fortune.
I have never hired a mover for anything. I can only imagine how much money I have saved.

Back