Bridgeport Voltage 3 phase to single phase

Dadgumit

Registered
Registered
I have my first Bridgeport mill it is a 1hp 9x36 table. what is the best way to run this mill on 220 voltage ? I have heard a bunch of ways !! Thanks Dadgumit

A VFD would give you the ability to run your 3 phase machine on single phase 220 at full power. It will also give you variable speed, overload protection and low voltage control (replaces a magnetic starter).

If you have more than one 3 phase machine you might consider buying or building a rotary phase converter. This will give you full power but it will NOT give you variable speed.

The 3rd and least desirable is a static phase converter. It will NOT give you variable speed and it will only supply about 2/3 of rated power. These were common before low cost VFD's became available but I don't see much reason to go that route anymore.

+1 what CluelessNewB said.

I also installed a VFD to make 220V 3ph from 220V 1ph for my 1.5hp Bridgeport.

Works great.

I briefly considered phase converters when I got my 1HP Bridgeport but after doing some research I went with a Hatachi VFD and couldn't be happier. It's so nice just to reach up and change the speed by turning a knob.

So plus one more vote for a VFD. You won't regret it.

Last edited:
VFD ' S are the way to go. I have one on my mill and lathe.

VFD. Unless you have the parts lying around already you'll likely get close to the cost of a VFD trying to setup a RFC and a VFD is much easier to work with and takes up less room.

Worth noting that the VFD is pretty noisy (electronically) though, so if you have a CNC machine or electronics around the machine (computers, radio, etc) you could get noise issues. Not likely to be a big problem, but something to keep in mind.

I think we're up to +5 on the VFD...

I suggest you make it REALLY NICE while you're at it.

A braking resistor will allow you to make your machine stop in under a second. If you're a cheap skate like me, power resistors off eBay work fine.

Remote forward/off/reverse switch makes it much nicer to run. I'd use the existing one on your mill.

I'd also suggest replacing the speed pot with a unit placed where its handy for the operator. The one on the VFD isn't sturdy enough to last.

Make that 6 on the VFD.

I have the same mill and have a VFD on it. It's fantastic, variable speed control at the twist of a knob, added an E stop switch, soft start and stop. Soft reversing for ridged tapping.

We have a vari speed Bridgeport at work and it's only a few years old where mine is 52 years old. I'm much rather use my mill than the one at work. I'm actually trying to talk them into putting a VFD on the mill.

You won't regret getting a VFD.

My first Bridgeport mill I put a single phase motor on with 56C frame. Work great for long time till I sold the mill. The other way is to use a DC motor like find on a tread mill

Dave

I have my first Bridgeport mill it is a 1hp 9x36 table. what is the best way to run this mill on 220 voltage ? I have heard a bunch of ways !! Thanks Dadgumit

Back