Bridgeport Shaping Head cutter orientation

Deema

Registered
Registered
Hi, I’ve recently been lucky and now own a Bridgeport shaping head…..so it’s all new to me! I’m really confused how to insert the cutters into the head, particularly the actually cutting face orientation to the head. I’ve read that if I get it wrong its not a good day, so would like to make sure on my first adventure I’ve put the cutter in the right way around. I’m going to have a go at cutting a keyway.

The one I had access to, back in the dark ages, worked vertically, facing toward the operator, although right to left could have been used, too. Keyway in a gear, for instance. The most difficulty was getting a tool ground properly so it didn't drag on the sides.

What are you un-sure of here Deema ?

I've never used one, but here's a picture that shows the cutting tool and it appears that the cutting pressure is against the back, towards the machine. This makes sense, since you want the pressure primarily against the most solid member... I certainly don't think you would want the cutting pressure against the screwed on cover way...

Ted

shaper head.jpg

The shaper head is hinged and takes a .625 shank tool . The tool is ground with a flat to orientate it in the ram . It's a pretty expensive toy these days , nice to have , maybe not practical . :dunno:

I'll post a pic of some tools I made up for the head in a minute .

Sorry for the bad pics , but hopefully you can see the ground flat that orients the tool . :)

Attachments

• IMG_9026.JPG
    IMG_9026.JPG
    45.6 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_9027.JPG
    IMG_9027.JPG
    34.5 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_9028.JPG
    IMG_9028.JPG
    34.8 KB · Views: 15
Thanks all, so, in summary, the cutting edge is on the side where you hole in the ram is…..where you screw in the set screw to fix the cutter. Got it.

Another question, if I may. The spring seems to not have enough tension, I’ve again read that this adjustable, but not how to adjust it. Anyone done it? Can advise how to apply some tension?

High tension by the spring is not essential, nor is the relief feature, I have a Pratt & Whitney 6" vertical shaper which has relief and the ability to limit it and lock it out entirely if desired, and also have a Brown & Sharpe slotting attachment for my #2 universal mill, it has no relief feature and works just fine without it, you just have to do the feeding at the top end of the cut with the whole cutting edge exposed. With the P&W, the lateral cuts can be fed automatically as on a horizontal shaper, that is, on the return stroke.

The spring tension lets the tool retract on the up stroke and has nothing to do with the cutting force . Yes , the business end of the tool faces the set screw hole in the front of the ram .

Thank you, the spring isn’t strong enough at the mo. To support the tool in the cutting position, it has a little brewers droop!

Back