Bridgeport Riser

I've been using the heck out of the BP after installing the 7" riser and I'm finding for my 6'3" frame it's really nice to not have to hunch over.
There might be jobs where it sets things too low for the tooling...or too high...however you want to look at it, but for me, I think it's gonna work fine...

The riser is not something you'd want to pop in and out depending on the job...it's a fairly significant undertaking. Just lining up the bolts with the spider is somewhat challenging, as working alone I had to reach up through the side access panel with one hand to find the spider and up with the other arm to manipulate the bolt. Maybe you'd be better at this. So would I, the next time.

I have a 6" vise with a rotating base, maybe another 2". I also use Kwik Switch 200 adapters, which add a little to Z requirements. Even so, the Bridgeport has a big vertical movement, 16" as I recall, and I've never had a problem getting the quill and vise close enough together. And with longer drills, it's hard to imagine a need for more Z height. But a power Z lift is a real plus. You've got the vertical, now use it. :)

The riser is not something you'd want to pop in and out depending on the job...it's a fairly significant undertaking. Just lining up the bolts with the spider is somewhat challenging, as working alone I had to reach up through the side access panel with one hand to find the spider and up with the other arm to manipulate the bolt. Maybe you'd be better at this. So would I, the next time.

I have a 6" vise with a rotating base, maybe another 2". I also use Kwik Switch 200 adapters, which add a little to Z requirements. Even so, the Bridgeport has a big vertical movement, 16" as I recall, and I've never had a problem getting the quill and vise close enough together. And with longer drills, it's hard to imagine a need for more Z height. But a power Z lift is a real plus. You've got the vertical, now use it. :)
I do agree it is a pain to install the riser for a single job but the machine shop the company I worked for had three different mills two of which were set up as dedicated mills with a 6" riser on one and the other a 12" riser. As hobbyists (for the most part) we do not have that luxury so for me installing the riser isn't a bother, even for the 1 time I may need it. I would like to add that I also removed the rotating vise base and that really helps a lot for additional total height. Thanks.

Last edited:
Back