Bridgeport problem

Sounds like your end mill is pushing up into the collet. Chinese collets? Measure how far your end mill is sticking out and take a cut to see if it moves.

This is why end mill holders are More gooder :)

If it is moving he's taking to heavy a cut, when taking heavy cuts you should put it in a holder. The holders have a set screw so the cutter can't slip, if you don't have a holder then try taking a smaller cut say .060" at a time. Ive got American and China made collets and they all do the same thing if you horse it some time it just doesn't mater others it can trash you project.

Todd

Sounds like your end mill is pushing up into the collet. Chinese collets? Measure how far your end mill is sticking out and take a cut to see if it moves.

This is why end mill holders are More gooder :)

The taper is deeper not shallower.

If your taking too deep a cut , the end mil can actually pull down out of the collet, because the spiral of the end mill will have a tendency to suck the end mill out of the collet. This is especially true when doing a slot, because the end mill gets a little bound up between both sides of the slot. A 2-flute is better than a 4-flute when doing slots.

I have Series 1 Bridgeport that is driving me nuts. When you cut a keyway ( 3/4 by 3/8 let's say ) it tapers in depth nearly .060 in 4". My buddy "HSS" and I have been scratching our heads trying to determine what is causing this. The spindle is locked and tight. The knee and table does not have any slack. Crossfeed movement does not occur. Machine is level. End mill is new. The cut along the axis is fine. So what's up with this?

Does this problem only occur with keyways?
If you setup again, try bringing the tool down until it just touches the work. Then run the cutter along the intended path. At the other end of the pass is the cutter still just touching? 060 in 4" is a lot!

Cheers Phil

Well guys, problem is solved. I really hate to admit what was wrong! I had moved this machine from a former location in shop and had not anchored it to floor. I had used it a few times on small items like drilling holes, but nothing big. I had always indicated the vise in before I did a key then leveled my shaft with a Starrett machinist level. I did the same with this set up. Now it just dawned on me yesterday what I did wrong! The Bridgeport was not level as I thought and although the vise was true, and the shaft was level, it was not parallel. Maybe at 66 now, things are beginning to slip a little. Sorry for the trouble guys, but I really appreciate your time and ideas. I know I threw a curve on this one. I will fix this problem next week. I think xalky is right, a 4-flute is better! Thanks, Arky

- - - Updated - - -

NO, xalky, I meant a 2 flute. Guess I need another cup of coffee!

Good to hear you got it sorted. It's always the little things we overlook it seems.

Well guys, problem is solved. I really hate to admit what was wrong! I had moved this machine from a former location in shop and had not anchored it to floor. I had used it a few times on small items like drilling holes, but nothing big. I had always indicated the vise in before I did a key then leveled my shaft with a Starrett machinist level. I did the same with this set up. Now it just dawned on me yesterday what I did wrong! The Bridgeport was not level as I thought and although the vise was true, and the shaft was level, it was not parallel. Maybe at 66 now, things are beginning to slip a little. Sorry for the trouble guys, but I really appreciate your time and ideas. I know I threw a curve on this one. I will fix this problem next week. I think xalky is right, a 4-flute is better! Thanks, Arky

- - - Updated - - -

NO, xalky, I meant a 2 flute. Guess I need another cup of coffee!

I've never bothered with leaving my mills, I tram the table to get the head square and indicate the vise, now it doesn't matter if the part is tight in the vise. I may end up leveling them but at this point it works for me. Glad you found your problem and are able to fix it.

• :phew:
Todd

Back