Bridgeport paint color

Cholmes

Active User
Registered
I know it has probably been asked but what is the original color on Bridgeport J head mills from around 1965 and where can I get it? I was given a J-head mill but it has been painted Ford Blue for some reason (amazing it even runs with THAT color on it) and I plan to take it back to the original color.

Chuck

CHUCK---here is the formula for the orig. color --it is from ''national paint coatings '' a large us auto paint dist. it is a 2 part mix for a paint mode or mixture called''omni'' ---yes it does require a ''hardener'' added to the mix. iam pretty sure they can mix this color in other types or models of paint. this paint was formulated or copied from new b.p. mill part and is used on todays brand new b.p. power heads . this formula was not ez to make up but i think it will be a good place to start. i will try to post pics of finished parts

hope this helps u and others. enjoy-steve in mt.

DSCN1334.JPG DSCN1341.JPG DSCN1335.JPG

Attachments

• scan0001.pdf
    2.2 MB · Views: 149
chuck---some more pics. hope i are can clearly show color of current b.p. mill. they started makin these mills bout 1938 --the color has always been gray -but who is to say what the exact shade of gray really is ??? i understand the journey u are on -been there done that --hope this will help u and others. re steve in mt.

DSCN1326.JPG DSCN1377.JPG DSCN1388.JPG

tool master---battleship grey ?? LOL--no not really--my photos are a little dark. why not take a look at the new bridgeports on their website . their photos are better than mine. there is another avenue that u can take also. before buying the final quarts of paint ---have the paint co. mix u a sample of the color in a ''spray can'' form. i have done this one other time myself. hope this helps --just my $$.02 . re steve in mt.

my 59 BP was green best I can tell. Bout like the pic. I cant say thats the prig color it came in. I can say if it is not, who ever done it done it right.

I thought all old machines were battleship grey, regardless of what color they started out as. Isn't whole point to provide a matching background for the inevitable layer of grime? And the alternating layers of grey paint and dirt that accumulate over a half century or so provide that "patina" that the antique people so admire when they rip the legs off to use for furniture.

CHUCK---here is the formula for the orig. color --it is from ''national paint coatings '' a large us auto paint dist. it is a 2 part mix for a paint mode or mixture called''omni'' ---yes it does require a ''hardener'' added to the mix. iam pretty sure they can mix this color in other types or models of paint. this paint was formulated or copied from new b.p. mill part and is used on todays brand new b.p. power heads . this formula was not ez to make up but i think it will be a good place to start. i will try to post pics of finished parts

hope this helps u and others. enjoy-steve in mt.

Thanks smallfly, I will look into getting this mixed. I had even thought of a grey hammer tone powder coat, but I like the original color better, though even pink would be better than the Ford Blue, maybe Mopar Green...

Chuck

Rust-Oleum machine tool gray #904402 is according to RO is the original BP gray. At least that's what the guy on the tech line told me. The sample I have does appear to be a match.

http://www.Hobby-Machinist.com/showthread.php?t=16025

I went with silver gray (light machine gray in a spray bomb) on mine.

Back