Bridgeport motor swap

ograngel

Registered
Registered
Does anyone have experience with a Three Phase Conversion Kit for 1 HP Bridgeport Motor | SP23PH sold by H&W machine repair?

For that kind of money, you'd be better off getting a rotary phase converter. A 10 HP from American Rotary would be less than that, plus give you the ability to have additional 3 phase machines. IMHO, a Bridgeport with a 3 phase motor has more value that one with a single phase motor.

Ouch! That's a lot of money for a 1Hp motor.

I burned up one of the ones that I had. Used a 1.75Hp that I pulled from a commercial treadmill to replace it. Cut a V groove in the flywheel to use it as a pulley. Running it off of a no-name VFD. I get 300 to 2000 RPM (divided by 7 when in back gear), and have been hogging a lot of metal of the past couple months.

I just looked up the motor assembly from H&W on their site. 975.00.
That's a big pill to swallow..but you have a brand new bolt on and go.
Have we checked HGR or Ebay? There are many of the industrial plant liquidators selling on eBay and they have some great stuff.
I would suggest you stay with a 3 phase and use a VFD.

If the motor you have is toast, I'd also check with Mike @ Lee's Machinery in Perry, Ohio. He has oodles of Bridgeport parts (new and used).

Absolutely, I had forgotten Lee's.
They have lots of Bridgeport stuff and experience.

I had my 2 Hp Reuland 3 phase motor rewound and new bearings by our local rewinder for $270. Have you considered checking it with a meggar to make sure it is bad and if so, priced a rewind? A new motor was going to cost me $1400 for a direct replacement. Wemsco Electric Motor Service here locally is who I used, and I think they are a nationwide company.

Back