1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. PLEASE: Read the FORUM RULES BEFORE registering!

Dismiss Notice

bridgeport J head knee handle

Discussion in 'BRIDGEPORT MACHINES INC. & B'PORT CLONES' started by Mutt, Apr 22, 2017.

1. Mutt

Mutt United States Active Member Active Member

City:
    Wills Point
    State:
    Texas

-Return to Top-

I need to remove the number wheel (dial) from the knee feed to polish it, numbers hard to read now. What do I need to do after I slide the handle off the shaft?

2. Tom Howland

Tom Howland United States Steel Registered Member

City:
    Corralitos
    State:
    California

-Return to Top-

Rather than remove mine I used purple Scott's brite and kerosene and it shined right up.

3. ghostdncr

ghostdncr United States Active Member Active Member

City:
    Louisville
    State:
    Kentucky

-Return to Top-

I'm thinking you remove the crank handle and use a puller on the castellated sleeve that engages the crank handle (part #76). It's held in place by a Woodruff key and is a very snug fit, IIRC. After that, the graduated dial (79), dial holder sleeve(78), and lock nut (77) will slide right off the shaft. It's early and I've just sat down with the first cup of coffee, so apologies if I'm missing something.

Knee Crank.jpg

Like Tom, I just cleaned up the knee dial on one of the older shop mills this past week using WD40 and a scrap of Scotchbrite. Worked great and took about a minute and a half. The graduated dial is hard chromed and is not one bit impressed by fine abrasive, especially when wetted with a light solvent like kerosene or WD.

cathead likes this.
  4. Mutt

Mutt United States Active Member Active Member

City:
    Wills Point
    State:
    Texas

-Return to Top-

I'll give the WD-40 and scotchbrite a try. Thanks y'all

Mutt