Bridgeport info

Pevehouse

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Hi, had this Bridgeport come of for sale close to me and wanted to see if anyone could tell me what it is or if I should pass on it. Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_1558.png
    IMG_1558.png
    1 MB · Views: 57
Depends, I have same version.. mines 1943 served me well for 20 years.
Round ram J head. Missing power feed/handle .
Condition, condition
Whats the price?
Any known issues? Wear on ways, lead screws?
Spindle bearings noisy?
etc
What do you want to do with it?

Depends, I have same version.. mines 1943 served me well for 20 years.
Round ram J head. Missing power feed/handle .
Condition, condition
Whats the price?
$1000

Unless it's $250, hard pass. Round ram's are far inferior to the dovetail ram. Looks like it is missing the feed handle. The motor is not connected, no way to test it.

Unless it's $250, hard pass. Round ram's are far inferior to the dovetail ram. Looks like it is missing the feed handle. The motor is not connected, no way to test it.
that’s kind of what my gut was telling me,lol. I appreciate the input

$1000 too much, if in decent shape, power up to listen, etc.. ok, but not this one.
Keep looking

If you have the space and want a BP , maybe worth looking at if negotiable . True , the round rams aren't as sought after as the dovetail rams . Pulley head so no issues as with the VS heads . The handle missing is ir-relavent . $20 . Looks as though there was a power feed mounted at one time . The machine was most likely hardwired and disconnected to move it , maybe he could fire it up to test ? I wouldn't write it off without looking at it in person . If the head runs good , it's worth $1000 alone to someone . I've seen BPs in worse condition sell for over 2K up here .

Morse taper or R8 spindle? Probably the Morse. The table could be the shorter one, too.

J heads are usually R8- M heads came in 3 versions including Morse #2, B&S #7, and there's one other I forgot

1000 dollars is a good price.
Many skilled machinist made great parts on round ram machines. The round ram will move if the machinist takes a heavy interrupted cut, not everytime but sometimes.
A hobbiest could really enjoy that machine, it's easy to point out the short comings of any machine, facility, person but look at it positively.
There is a machine that could have a dovetail ram installed on it, could have a different quill or head installed on it and other components.
Easy to find parts and troubleshooting help.

Back