Bridgeport Chip Guards

turbotadd

Active User
Registered
I'm just starting to tear into my recently acquired Bridgeport, and the chip guard (metal telescoping pieces that move when y moves) appear to be bent up in front. What all needs to come off in order to remove them for inspecting?
Thanks,

Tadd

Tadd, not everyone has the chip guards you have. In fact most do not have any chip guards at all. Can you supply us with pictures? We really need more info.

I'm just starting to tear into my recently acquired Bridgeport, and the chip guard (metal telescoping pieces that move when y moves) appear to be bent up in front. What all needs to come off in order to remove them for inspecting?
Thanks,

Tadd

you must remove the table screw.....then the table gib and the table. The Y axis, or cross feed screw, must also be removed. The bracket that contains both feed nuts can then be unbolted from the saddle. The telescoping chip guards will then slide out from under the saddle.
JOHN

NOW I get it. Thanks John, I didn't understand his question. It is the chip guard under the saddle.

Tadd, John is correct, all that has to come apart to get it removed.

2013-06-27_21-59-59_376.jpg
What causes them to ride up in the front like this?
Is it possible to fix these or should I be looking into getting new?
Thanks,

Tadd

2013-06-27_21-59-59_376.jpg

Maybe not in all cases, but that happens from chips and debris jammed up under the chip plates/covers.

Dave

Just curious. Does the saddle move easily. Mine only has 1 chip guard plate. What year is your mill? It is not difficult to pull apart. Just takes a little time and a strong back. H&W machine has a book on how to tear down and reassemble the Bridgeport. It is a good thing to have. Their website is www.machinerypartsdepot.com.

Last edited:
The saddle does move freely, but chips can be heard grinding away under there. Mill is a '77 I believe. I'm thinking i will pick up a copy of the book. Thanks,

Tadd

Just curious. Does the saddle move easily. Mine only has 1 chip guard plate. What year is your mill? It is not difficult to pull apart. Just takes a little time and a strong back. H&W machine has a book on how to tear down and reassemble the Bridgeport. It is a good thing to have. Their website is www.machinerypartsdepot.com.

Second getting their book, I bought one figuring it might help a little with my Bridgeport clone and it's proven to be nearly identical so it's been a great help. It's pretty well written and has lots of photos, which has proven very useful as I tear mine down.

Edit: I'd also heartily recommend H&W, decent prices and great customer service. I wish dealing with Logan (for my lathe) was as painless.

Are you going to tear it down and reassemble it? I am about 75% done with mine. It is not all that difficult and the results are worth it. You will be much more familiar with it when you are finished.

Back