Brazing titanium

mofosheee

Registered
Registered
Anybody out here in forum world have experience with brazing titanium? Thanks

Not here, but have you considered TIG?

I've never heard of it being done. Knowing the thermal conductivity and low heat capacity of the metal, I imagine trying to concentrate heat with a torch to get a braze joint would be a challenge. Not to mention the oxidation problems. Tig with argon purge is where I'd go.

This is not "brazing." In brazing the base metal is not melted. TIG welding titanium is a well documented process that basically requires extra shielding gas (Argon.) I have not done it but there is tons of information and good video online. I think some people here are experiences and will hopefully chime in.

Interesting article. They are hard solder brazing with a 40/30/20 Ag/Cu/Zn alloy using a fluoride flux (like SMAW flux) and a teeny tiny narrow window of heat where it actually might work, and oh yeah, don't forget to use a reducing flame. The entire article says how difficult it is, and that this may work sometimes for certain things. Inert gas furnace brazing is probably best for little sensitive parts, but this process would be impossible with tubing or work of any size that isn't engulfed in the flame. Unless it's a very small part, TIG with lots of argon purge is the best join.

Anybody out here in forum world have experience with brazing titanium? Thanks
Titanium is difficult to braze because brazing operations are limited by the chemical and metallurgical properties of titanium.

Meta-Braze™ BTi-3 is suitable for the brazing of titanium alloys where it exhibits low erosion of the parent metals. It melts below 850°C enabling brazing to be carried out

Back